Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an xg750 2016 and I am attempting to change the headlight cover, I know very simple however the person who owned the bike before me stripped out the head of the screw and I cannot get it to come out does anybody have any suggestions for me?
I really want to do what I can to make this bike look badass.

· Registered
59 Posts
Try this first before you take a drill to the bike. Use the biggest Allen screwdriver bit that just fits all the way in the stripped bolt head. JB Weld the bit into the stripped out bolt head with regular JB Weld (do not use JB Quick!). You will only need to mix a tiny amount mixed 50/50 for this. If you warm the mixed JB Weld with a hair dryer or a heat gun it will make the mixture really thin so it can run in and self level and fill all the air gaps around the screwdriver tip and the inside of the stripped bolt head. Wait at least 24 hours to harden, unscrew the bolt with the screwdriver tip still glued into it, put the bolt in a vice, knock the screwdriver tip out of the buggered bolt, repeat the procedure for the other side.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try this first before you take a drill to the bike. Use the biggest Allen screwdriver bit that just fits all the way in the stripped bolt head. JB Weld the bit into the stripped out bolt head with regular JB Weld (do not use JB Quick!). You will only need to mix a tiny amount mixed 50/50 for this. If you warm the mixed JB Weld with a hair dryer or a heat gun it will make the mixture really thin so it can run in and self level and fill all the air gaps around the screwdriver tip and the inside of the stripped bolt head. Wait at least 24 hours to harden, unscrew the bolt with the screwdriver tip still glued into it, put the bolt in a vice, knock the screwdriver tip out of the buggered bolt, repeat the procedure for the other side.
Thank you so much

· Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
922 Posts
You may be able to use an EZ Out. This is a reverse threaded tap that you run into a hole drilled into the screw. You use a wrench or a t-handle to turn the EZ Out which is trying to dig itself deeper into the screw. It should turn the screw instead of digging a bigger hole into it. You may need to apply some penetrating oil to the original screw to get it to come loose. Obviously, the original screw will be no good after this and need to be replaced.

· Registered
6 Posts
If you can get a junior hacksaw on the screw head, you could cut a flat head screw slot and then get a larger flat screwdriver into it. That way you will give yourself greater leverage on the screw... and remember.. There is always time for lubrication.. to help it reduce friction and come out cleanly..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts