Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is my official first bike, purchased just recently. I've already put 800+ miles on it in less than a month's time. One of the things I envision on this bike is Clubman Bars, or in the extreme end clip-ons. The only thing is, I have no knowledge of bike modification beyond swapping parts that are cosmetic (ie pegs mirrors ect)

The bars I have in mind are these
https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/black-satin-7-8-in-clubman-handlebar.p599818.prd/599818.sku
But beyond the actual swap, do I need to change/adjust anything? My buddy was telling me that the cables may need to be replaced or not depending on the actual fit, but he also mentioned I should look up the tension on the clutch lever, in which H-D has been none to helpful.

Does anyone have any insight on this or will this be nothing more than a mere swap and roll on?

Many thanks,
Andre

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
So, this is my official first bike, purchased just recently. I've already put 800+ miles on it in less than a month's time. One of the things I envision on this bike is Clubman Bars, or in the extreme end clip-ons. The only thing is, I have no knowledge of bike modification beyond swapping parts that are cosmetic (ie pegs mirrors ect)

https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/black-satin-7-8-in-clubman-handlebar.p599818.prd/599818.sku
But beyond the actual swap, do I need to change/adjust anything? My buddy was telling me that the cables may need to be replaced or not depending on the actual fit, but he also mentioned I should look up the tension on the clutch lever, in which H-D has been none to helpful.

Does anyone have any insight on this or will this be nothing more than a mere swap and roll on?

Many thanks,
Andre
I switched out the stock bar with the reduced reach bar from Harley and had to get a clutch cable that was 1 inch longer. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the throttle side. First time I've ever changed a handle bar on a motorcycle and was successful. If you already have the bar, you could hold it over the stock and eyeball it a bit but the way to find out if you gonna need new cables is to just install the bar and put the cables on to see how much slack you have if any when you turn the wheel.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Many thanks,
Andre
I purchased those bars and was going to install them on my bike. You will need to change the cables. It was more than I wanted to get into. It looked like the bars would fit with the cowling on.

I would be happy to sell you the bars I purchased for $20.00 bucks plus what ever shipping ends up being. Message me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the actual photo evidence. What bars and mirrors are those, and do the instruments still reach/work in the downward position? Many thanks man.

Flamegirl, I will consider it, but by any chance do you know how much the cables were going to be?

Andre

·
Registered
203 Posts
The mirrors and the Clubman Bars purchased from Third Gear.
You can get them from their Ebay site if you prefer too
Will try find links

Pair Alloy Black BAR END Mirrors Motorbike Fits Renthal 7 8 22mm Handlebars | eBay

Black Clubman ACE 22mm 7 8" Handle Bars 4 Motorcycle Bobber Cafe Racer Tracker | eBay
Make sure you get the 7/8" or 22mm bars, not the usual harley size of 1" or 24.5mm

To try to answer your 2nd question, all the standard cables and wiring will work when you have the bars like mine are pictured.
If you turn them the other way, i assume you may need to shorten or re route the cables to make it work.

Also, you can get cables made to length, rather than buying genuine harley ones, mate.
Try ringing a few shops for prices. you'll be surprised at how much cheaper they are
I have a local mate who makes them up, and if you cant get anyone to help, let me know and i can pass his info on to you. I'm sure he will be more than happy to help

hope this helps

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey thanks for the actual photo evidence. What bars and mirrors are those, and do the instruments still reach/work in the downward position? Many thanks man.

Flamegirl, I will consider it, but by any chance do you know how much the cables were going to be?

Andre
I am not sure about the length, it would be several inches shorter.

I went with a drag bar. It worked out well and I did not need to change any of the cables. Perhaps it may be an option for you.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts