Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing a Tacho and a Gear Indicator on my Street 750. Also, this bike does not have the hazard lights (all four indicators flashing at the same time) feature -- I think it is a good safety feature to have, especially if you are riding after dark or if it is raining/foggy. The dealer in Pune, India says they need more time to figure out a way to do this for me without voiding the warrantee. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont know any bikes having hazard indicators. as for the gear indicator, why would you need that? you only need the neutral light. what i would like is an engine RPM meter.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Dont know any bikes having hazard indicators. as for the gear indicator, why would you need that? you only need the neutral light. what i would like is an engine RPM meter.

Check the thread on salty street. I order one that he got. Just monitors the EMF pulse from the plug wire. Looks nice to me.

I will work on hazards. Should be able to make a kit easy enough.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ordered that same digital tach. Wasn't $60.00 though. $74.95 comes to mind. Kinda pricey for a plastic box with an integrated circuit chip.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't think that a gear indicator is really necessary on a motorcycle like the Street. You should be able to feel when to shift. The RPM meter would probably be a great addition though. That seems like something that is usually standard.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
$74.95 is still reasonable I guess at least its not $100.

Hazards is actually a great idea. Shift light indicator just depends on rider whatever they are confortable with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Never knew this either, i'm sort of a newb in the bike world and would like to know how common that is....so far from what i'm guessing it seems to be something uncommon.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
The RPM meter would probably be a great addition though. That seems like something that is usually standard.

Harley rarely includes a tach as standard equipment on their motorcycles deeming them basically unnecessary. The vast majority of riders rarely get even close to redline before shifting. It is a nice feature (the dual tach/speedo came on my XL50 stock) but not all that necessary. You can feel when you're lugging the engine and virtually never approach redline before you know it's time to shift.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I've been looking at the VTwin mini digital speedo-tach combination although I've read a customer review on it's accuracy wasn't good. I'm focused as much on looks as I am on how accurate it is for my chopper project so that makes a difference but I don't like a report on it being inaccurate. Perhaps the negative review was based upon poor calibration by the buyer. I've also read a review that it was hard to read in bright sunlight. Once again for a show bike this isn't a issue but for riding it is. I sort of like to know how fast I'm going. LOL

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Digital-Mini-Speedometer-Tachometer/dp/B009L3KM2S

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Does any tach from another HD model apply? The sportsters have a gear indicator.
Greetings from italy

No, tachs from other Harley's won't work as the final drive gear ratios are different. My Sportster, for example, uses a 70-tooth rear sprocket (as I recall) while a Street uses a 80-tooth. Harley tachs are not programmable.

Now a Dakota tach can be used because it is programmable and they are very accurate when properly calibrated.

My '07 Sportster doesn't have a gear indicator and I don't believe the current Sportsters do either. Not even my car has a gear indicator and it's a 2012. Rule of thumb - keep shifting until you run out of gears. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, tachs from other Harley's won't work as the final drive gear ratios are different. My Sportster, for example, uses a 70-tooth rear sprocket (as I recall) while a Street uses a 80-tooth. Harley tachs are not programmable.

Now a Dakota tach can be used because it is programmable and they are very accurate when properly calibrated.

My '07 Sportster doesn't have a gear indicator and I don't believe the current Sportsters do either. Not even my car has a gear indicator and it's a 2012. Rule of thumb - keep shifting until you run out of gears. LOL

Thanks for the advice, it' s only because I'm looking always for the seventh gear, as the street seems to have no limit ;)
And seriously: at least the 2014 sportster has an integrated digital round and gear indicator, which is absolutely not prominent . In case you are disturbed by too much information...:laugh:

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
. Rule of thumb - keep shifting until you run out of gears. LOL
I had to laugh when I read this because that is EXACTLY what I do, I be trying to go into 7th gears (it would seems), to make sure I have shifted up enough.

I need to work on knowing when to shift down and smoothly but I am a work in progress and getting better each ride, just afraid the bad weather will catch me before my experience get where I want it to be before the season ends.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I had to laugh when I read this because that is EXACTLY what I do, I be trying to go into 7th gears (it would seems), to make sure I have shifted up enough.

I need to work on knowing when to shift down and smoothly but I am a work in progress and getting better each ride, just afraid the bad weather will catch me before my experience get where I want it to be before the season ends.

LOL - I often check to see if I'm in 6th when I get up to speed on the freeway as the Street will run at freeway speeds in both 5th and 6th gear. I don't typically do that as much on my Sportster because it has a tach and I can tell from my rpm's if I'm in high gear.

Generally I don't use a lot of gear to help slow me down and only downshift when I feel the loss of deceleration being created by the engine. It's not like I'm in a rush to decelerate like a motorcycle racer would be doing. In a "panic stop" situationm, that you might encounter on the streets, you really don't have time to downshift anyway. You can always safely decelerate without using in "engine braking" at all and I often do that as well. Saves some wear on the clutch plate that's a lot more expensive to replace than brake pads.

Reactions: Livin On

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Generally I don't use a lot of gear to help slow me down and only downshift when I feel the loss of deceleration being created by the engine. It's not like I'm in a rush to decelerate like a motorcycle racer would be doing. In a "panic stop" situationm, that you might encounter on the streets, you really don't have time to downshift anyway. You can always safely decelerate without using in "engine braking" at all and I often do that as well. Saves some wear on the clutch plate that's a lot more expensive to replace than brake pads.
I truly appreciate your words and advice because what you said it what I am doing but I always wonder if I was doing something wrong, I think I sometimes try to compare shifting in a car to shifting on a motorcycle. I know it will come with experience and time in the seat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is currently no gear indicator that it compatible with the Street 500. I bought one zinc the dealer tried everything, but the wiring is different on the Street.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts