Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My 15 Street 750 now has just over 12k Miles. Cleaning it up today after a 32 Mile ride. Had it up on my hydraulic jack. Spun the rear wheel. Hear a Loud Metallic Squeaking sound. Emanating from the Belt area of the rear pulley. I've heard that sound before. Usually after sitting for a few days. Now its constant. I have a recording on my cell phone. Wish I could play for everyone.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bummer. Your bike really has not been treating you well as of late. I'm on track to have about that number of miles on mine by this time next year. I'm really hoping your experience is atypical.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I played the video for the Tech. He couldn't duplicate it. And ended up getting charged $56 with Tax for 1/2 Hour Labor.

Maybe it would be cheaper for me to just run this POS into the ground. Wait until the wheel falls off and call them.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just received the Survey from HD today. After I Paid 1/2 Hour Labor for a No Problem Found. Haven't ridden the bike since. I don't know what I am doing with it??

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still haven't been able to ride it. Its been Cold, 20's a few days. Raining this morning. Maybe tomorrow I can get it out??

·
Registered
34 Posts
that's a miserable sound.

you should start tracking if it happens hot/cold, before/after, long/short ride,

and then you have the specific conditions to recreate the sound for them. but i can't believe the NPF'ed it with that video!!

make sure one of your friends has the video & receipts, in case the rear tire locks up & you die, then at least they can sue HD and be rich!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When it made that sound, It was After a 35 Mile Ride. At mostly 75-80 MPH. When I got home, It sat for an hour at most. I was letting it cool down so I can clean it. I usually clean the wheels with a bucket of water and a brush. Even clean the rotors. I cleaned the front first. When I went to wash the rear, That's when I heard it.

·
Banned
84 Posts
You stated that you have 12,000 miles on a 2015 motorcycle,......that seems excessive mileage.
Could it be that parts are worn out from all those miles?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've owned more than 10 motorcycles and the street bikes have all gone 50k miles or more, with nothing more than chains, sprockets (on those that had them), tires and normal wear items (plugs/points/filters/lubricants). The one exception was my RD350 that needed new pistons at about 25K after an especially grueling two up trip from Kalifornia to Yellowstone and back. 12k isn't in any way excessive. If my XG500 can't make it to 50k (assuming I can), it will be my one and only Harley.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As I recall from other posts, this is an early 2015 model year bike built in late 2014 and ridden as a daily driver in 2015 through 2017. No way would 4K a year be considered excessive mileage. From what I've seen online at other sites, 3K-6K miles per year is quite reasonable mileage.

To put things in perspective, 12K miles is just past the third scheduled maintenance at 10K. That's the first PM that H-D expects to find parts that might need replacing, and that's just the spark plug.

If you go shopping for used motorcycles you will find a lot of garage queens out there with hardly any miles on them. They could be somebody's mid-life crisis that proved impractical, maybe the rider got scared early on and stopped riding, or maybe the girlfriend that liked the bad boy on the crotch rocket became the wife that's afraid the GXSR is going to get hubby killed. All of those things and more contribute to a lot of motorcycles being ridden limited miles not due to mechanical limitations, but human factors.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've put about 700 miles on my bike in the last week. On track for about 24,000 this year.
No wonder you needed the upgraded seat!
I'm on track to hit 6K miles in my first year riding. I'm hoping to half again as much next year.
The point I was trying to make was that a well maintained motorcycle can go many more miles than most motorcycles are actually ridden. The riders and people around them are the limiting factor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I appreciate your xg750 pain. My '14 has had more problems than any of the 30 plus bikes I have own over the last 50 years, except for the '84 FXRT. I am stuck with mine or sell it at a loss. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sometimes brake dust can cause "sounds." The part about cleaning the wheels and rotors with water made me think of this. I'm not saying confidence is high, just putting it out there as a possibility.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts