Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's what I've figured out to raise the tanks on these bikes. This has given me a 3" over the stock position. I'd be interested to hear if someone has any other ways or idea's of going about doing this.

https://youtu.be/7f2XnUzGGKE

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks great, Haulin. Are you planning on keeping the 15 out back? From my time with UJMs, I'm pretty good with subframe mods, wiring, and the cosmetics, but I'm clueless when it comes to changing hubs, I'm not sure what needs to be taken into account, from the hub size to the brake disc and rear sprockets, etc. If you change it up, I look forward to doing some learning!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be getting rid of the rims eventually. The thing with these bikes is the crush drive (compensator) on the rear hub ... it makes life a little more challenging, to say the least. If someone came out with a 16" rim for the rear that works with the stock belt drive (StoneFree?>:D) I would buy it up, but for right now the easiest way to get around that is getting rid of the belt all together and going with a chain. 1WheelRevolution is working on a chain drive that will work with the stock rims and I'm hoping to get the front sprocket off of them and then going with some rims off of a Sporty, put a chain sprocket on it and space the wheel accordingly.

I'm playing the waiting game right now though, see who can get me the parts first, before I go ahead with the mod.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I will be getting rid of the rims eventually. The thing with these bikes is the crush drive (compensator) on the rear hub ... it makes life a little more challenging, to say the least. If someone came out with a 16" rim for the rear that works with the stock belt drive (StoneFree?>:D) I would buy it up, but for right now the easiest way to get around that is getting rid of the belt all together and going with a chain. 1WheelRevolution is working on a chain drive that will work with the stock rims and I'm hoping to get the front sprocket off of them and then going with some rims off of a Sporty, put a chain sprocket on it and space the wheel accordingly.

I'm playing the waiting game right now though, see who can get me the parts first, before I go ahead with the mod.
Already on it. It's been in work for over a month at my wheel supplier. I just sent a text to check on the status of the cush drive hubs for the Street so that 16" custom wheels can be used. We're also locating low profile 16" tires that won't change the outside tire circumference so the "final transmission-tire drive ratio" doesn't change and the stock speedo can be used.

I'll report back as soon as I get an update.

There are several manufacturers that offer chain drive conversions but the only problem is that chain drives really suck when compared to belt drives for motorcycles used on the streets. They're good for dirt bikes that can break a chain or belt in the middle of nowhere. A chain can be repaired with a master link but a broken belt basically can't be fixed. Except for the "emergency repair" capability of a chain overall a chain drive system sucks when compared to a belt.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
If someone came out with a 16" rim for the rear that works with the stock belt drive (StoneFree?>:D)
Got a reply to my inquiry about the status of the cush drive for the Street... sort of. It's in work with "high priority" but they've been slammed with orders because of Daytona Bike Week as well as another major event that were at. They didn't give me a date which is what I really wanted. I'll keep the pressure on because it's important to me as well as many others that are interested in changing out the stock rear wheel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a reply to my inquiry about the status of the cush drive for the Street... sort of. It's in work with "high priority" but they've been slammed with orders because of Daytona Bike Week as well as another major event that were at. They didn't give me a date which is what I really wanted. I'll keep the pressure on because it's important to me as well as many others that are interested in changing out the stock rear wheel.
Well that's good news! I imagine us Street owners are probably down at the bottom of the list for a lot of these companies. I don't think I'll really need a chain until I start my engine mods and start going for speed.

That stock rear pully if I remember correctly is a 80 or 82 tooth stock, one day in the future if someone's bored and want's to knock a dozen teeth off of there ... there might be a market for those wanting to change up the gearing. Even going bigger with more teeth, the stunting crowd on the Streets would be interested as well. Thanks for the update StoneFree, I'm hold off on pulling the trigger until I hear back from you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is chapel customs still the only place for wheels on the Street or has anyone found an alternative? I want to upgrade to larger spoke wheels but just can't justify dropping two grand to do it, no matter how awesome they look.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is chapel customs still the only place for wheels on the Street or has anyone found an alternative? I want to upgrade to larger spoke wheels but just can't justify dropping two grand to do it, no matter how awesome they look.
Nope....this place has loads of them.....and their prices are reasonable....not paying 2 grand for a set of pre-made spoke rims.....they also make other parts...pulleys...wheels for cush drive.....etc....

New Product

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do believe that this is the same website the Chappell customs sources their wheels from. All the streets on their pages are Chappell custom builds

·
Registered
238 Posts
Going to look at doing a tank lift myself....

Reactions: younglungs

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yea I'm pretty sure that's the same dealer Chappell Customs uses, but when I add it up it appears you actually get them cheaper through Tuffside. I'll probably end up springing on the set from CC, just not anytime soon as I don't have the funds. They look awesome though on the bike.

Might try a kickstarter... anyone want to throw a few bucks for the struggle? haha

·
Registered
238 Posts
I do believe that this is the same website the Chappell customs sources their wheels from. All the streets on their pages are Chappell custom builds
Well...their mark up is ridiculous....if my pricing was right...I priced them out at around $1200.00 a set for the specific ones I want and the exact color I want....I'm not against folks running a business....but their is a limit to my tolerance of outright gouging hard working folks....I don't care who they are or what they sell....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tons of Sportie mag rims on eBayfor $400.00 to $500.00 a set...all one needs is the correct spacers....but I'm going for a different look on Mel's Street.....

Reactions: younglungs

·
Registered
20 Posts
According to HD Wheels.....

Iron XL883N has a 19x2.5 front and a 16x3 rear.
The Street has a 17x2.5 front and a 15x3 rear.

The widths are correct, height shouldn't be a problem.

I thought the rear cush drive was a problem but reading around it seems that for some strange reason all the Japanese XLs have rear cush drive?! Maybe a set from Japan will be a straight bolt on?

It would certainly look less "scooterish"

·
Registered
238 Posts
According to HD Wheels.....

Iron XL883N has a 19x2.5 front and a 16x3 rear.
The Street has a 17x2.5 front and a 15x3 rear.

The widths are correct, height shouldn't be a problem.

I thought the rear cush drive was a problem but reading around it seems that for some strange reason all the Japanese XLs have rear cush drive?! Maybe a set from Japan will be a straight bolt on?

It would certainly look less "scooterish"

Going with a taller wheel on the front, the radius of the stock fender will not match the radius of the tire…..will have to find a Sportster fender and fit it to the Street……there is a Street on that HDWheels.com site with a taller tire and stock fender…..looks out of place…..there's ways to use or even mod the cush drive…anything is doable….lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a clearance issue?

Waiting for the rear shocks before we start hacking the back off the bike, but this should give you an idea as to what it looks like.

Hey Haulin, I am planning to lift the tank on my street 750. Want to know is there any clearance issue with the front forks after lifting the tank?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts