Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand-new here. Ride a '94 Vulcan. Saturday I test-drove a Street 500 at the local dealership. Fantastic machine. Out-torques my 750 and is unbelievably smooth. Problem is, it's too small physically. Pegs are too close and mirrors give me great view of my shoulders and not even a glimpse of the road unless I'm in a hard turn. I'm only 6'0" and 165 lbs so don't understand the problem unless the bike was designed for the Japanese market. No matter how I adjust the mirrors, I can't see the road behind me, which makes me very uncomfortable. I'm now told by a 3rd party that the bike can be custom fit, but after the test drive the dealership simply said, "Sorry," when I described the problems.

I'm also surprised by the mileage figures. The original numbers I was given estimated 60 mpg, but the dealer tags say 41.

Any wisdom from y'all? Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
309 Posts
@dufs,

As far as the mirrors are concerned that can be quickly resolved by installing H-D "LONG STEM" mirrors:

91909-038 Right
91910-038 Left

These look just like the original ones (which can't be adjusted satisfactorily) but they work. They bolt right on and cost about $35.00 apiece. Why these aren't stock remains a mystery.

As for the other issues I have no clue but perhaps others on this site do. If you go forward with a STREET you will find this site very helpful.

ENJOY THE RIDE!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Dufus a good start has already been made by Jonberg, so getting the long stem mirrors will solve the safety concern.

I have the 750 and the 60mpg figures you were quoted are in the ball park.

Hope that you pick the Street of your choice, because then your fun will be just around the corner.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I believe short mirrors are like quiet exhausts. Put on by Harley so they're there and you'll hopefully buy their upgraded version. The Road King and the Switchback I rode both had crappy mirrors as well. You're tall, not everyone is your height in America. There are tons of people still sub 6'. There are several ways to make it fit better for a taller rider, but it's typically much harder to make a tall bike fit a shorter rider.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I put on the Tribal mirrors, solved that issue. A guy on another site had replaced his pegs, replaced them again and graciously sent me his first pair. The extra length made all the difference. I'm 5'7.

I've also adjusted the shifter up a little to fit my new boots, and the brake up a little (found it to be too flat).

·
Registered
309 Posts
@charlesskelter,

I'm with you on the exhaust but the mirror issue is ridiculous and a safety hazard and NOT a good introduction to a very good product! I wonder how many potential buyers have been turned-off, at the git-go, just because of this absurd; I'll call it a mistake, problem ? Sometimes I wish that I could go to work for H-D just as a common sense advisor, LOL.

·
Registered
766 Posts
yes the stock mirrors are designed for riders under 4' tall !!!!

they suck no doubt. ...and yes the bike is small but agile.

if you think the 500 has more torque than your Vulcan, then ride the 750....you'll like that one a lot better. it has noticeably more horsepower and torque and normally only a grand more.

these will outrun many baggers and the 883's.....0-100 mph in 6.9-7.1 sec, is what ive seen on you tube....that is not a slouch at all!

other than the motor the 500 and 750 are the same.

I have a hard time giving Harley anymore of my money so I made my own mirror extensions from stuff I bought at our local true value hardware store for around $15.

there is a lot of info about these bikes on this site, just look around at many of the post and you'll have a good idea of what goes on with these bikes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think most people that buy Harleys tend to be ready for the expense of a Harley so the new mirrors and such are not a big deal (think chrome obsessed owners costs). I know I am/was not. haha But some of that is my own fault, and partially why I look outside of Harley to get the parts I want. Their add ons are beyond ridiculously priced and they're often extremely cookie cutter. But they do build enjoyable bikes. But ****, I don't think I've ever ridden a motorcycle I didn't like. :D So I'm not sure it's been a turn off for many, though I could imagine it being so for some. I'd never buy a brand new one again though. This is probably the only brand new vehicle I will ever own. The resale value on Harley is almost as bad as a Kia.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think most people that buy Harleys tend to be ready for the expense of a Harley so the new mirrors and such are not a big deal (think chrome obsessed owners costs). I know I am/was not. haha But some of that is my own fault, and partially why I look outside of Harley to get the parts I want. Their add ons are beyond ridiculously priced and they're often extremely cookie cutter. But they do build enjoyable bikes. But ****, I don't think I've ever ridden a motorcycle I didn't like. :D So I'm not sure it's been a turn off for many, though I could imagine it being so for some. I'd never buy a brand new one again though. This is probably the only brand new vehicle I will ever own. The resale value on Harley is almost as bad as a Kia.
yeah, especially when ya go to trade it in!....just bend over!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts