Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought the gloss. Wish I would have bought the satin. The paint on the gloss is really hard to keep light scratches out of it. Mines at a point I need to wet sand and buff it because just buffing isn't taking the scratches out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
i'm partial to vivid (gloss) black, as it is the color of my V-Rod and my pickup truck. indeed, gloss black just highlights dirt and dust on the surface.

i could see the denim black working better with all the plastic stuff on the Street 500/750

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Get the color that YOU like; do t worry about what anyone else likes or has bought.

Just remember to maintain it, keep it clean, and keep metal away from whatever color bike you get. The little things will make a difference here: use a single key in the ignition when riding instead of a ring, keep belt buckles covered when riding (if used), keep metal from jackets (zippers, pocket zips, toggles, etc.) covered and away from bike when riding, try to keep things off direct access to areas of the bike with paint exposed (tank and tail), and keep,standing dirt off all surfaces.

Remember that with gloss, YES you ARE going to get small swirl areas in the paint surface. But, these can be sorted out with wax and minor upkeep. Wash with a bucket and s cap of soap, rinse with clean water, then 10 minute on/off wax and you are DONE.

With gloss you DO HAVE the capability to wash and wax the bike "when YOU want to" in an effort to restore the paint.

With matte, you DO NOT HAVE the same options when riding. It is "much more difficult to maintain" while riding and owning, and a lot more trouble when something needs to be buffed out or resurfaced.

To me........ The MATTE looks super-cool. However, it is way too much work to maintain for me. That's the reason I did not get my last entice purchase in the matte paint; same situation just a bigger vehicle.

At the end of the day, get what "makes YOU happy" and what YOU are comfortable with owning and maintaining.

PS - I bought the "Velocity Red" because it is really rare where I am and somewhat rare for other street models as well.

Best,

USVet

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
And I LOVE my red now. At first I wasn't "crazy about it" but it grew on me while making my purchase. Now it glimmers in the sun, has a slight metallic look, is a deep burgundy color, and looks awesome on the Street model.

My .02

Best,

USVet96

·
Registered
504 Posts
Get the color that YOU like; do t worry about what anyone else likes or has bought.

Just remember to maintain it, keep it clean, and keep metal away from whatever color bike you get. The little things will make a difference here: use a single key in the ignition when riding instead of a ring, keep belt buckles covered when riding (if used), keep metal from jackets (zippers, pocket zips, toggles, etc.) covered and away from bike when riding, try to keep things off direct access to areas of the bike with paint exposed (tank and tail), and keep,standing dirt off all surfaces.

Remember that with gloss, YES you ARE going to get small swirl areas in the paint surface. But, these can be sorted out with wax and minor upkeep. Wash with a bucket and s cap of soap, rinse with clean water, then 10 minute on/off wax and you are DONE.

With gloss you DO HAVE the capability to wash and wax the bike "when YOU want to" in an effort to restore the paint.

With matte, you DO NOT HAVE the same options when riding. It is "much more difficult to maintain" while riding and owning, and a lot more trouble when something needs to be buffed out or resurfaced.

To me........ The MATTE looks super-cool. However, it is way too much work to maintain for me. That's the reason I did not get my last entice purchase in the matte paint; same situation just a bigger vehicle.

At the end of the day, get what "makes YOU happy" and what YOU are comfortable with owning and maintaining.

PS - I bought the "Velocity Red" because it is really rare where I am and somewhat rare for other street models as well.

Best,

USVet
I think this post says it all.
I couldn't have said it any better.
BTW, mine is the "Denim Black". I only use the HD Denim Paint Cleaner on it.
GET WHAT "YOU" WANT!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, I've ordered a two tone Dk Brown and Black seat from Corbin so the Red and Blue are out for me.
Hedging towards Gloss Black as I've ordered 12" apes in 7/8 which are also gloss Black.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have gotten Several Compliments on my 15s Mysterious Red Sunglo. Some people said they liked it better than the 16s Velocity Red Sunglo.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Hi all, I can't decide out of the Satin or Gloss Black.....does anyone know which color has been the best seller?
My 750 is the denim (flat) black but I didn't have a choice. I purchased the first one the dealer received (I'd been waiting for over six months) and I'm painting it anyway. Not sure of what color yet but the tank is going to be used for a bobber project because it's an awesome shape for a bobber. The actual 750 will be a completely custom chopper with a peanut tank and it will be predominately turquoise with copper plating as opposed to chrome plating. In addtition it will have red, white, blue and copper foil graphics and whatever pin-striping I eventually decide on.

Remember it is a Harley and repainting is always a fun part of owning a Harley anyway. A person doesn't have to be an expert painter to repaint a Harley and you don't even need spray equipment because I've seen awesome "rattle-can" paint jobs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wax ,wax and more wax. I love the gloss black, and have over the past 9 months waxed it repeatedly.
I now only have to give it a quick buff with a soft cloth and she glows.
Plus 1 rain just rolls off.
Plus 2 bugs don't stick.
Plus 3 always has that "wet" look

·
Registered
73 Posts
My dealership sells gatorglo which is easy to use and keeps it looking waxed. Use microfiber towels for application. Rinse any dirt off with a garden hose.

·
Registered
73 Posts
@Chimichangatime that's interesting we both have a street and a v-rod. Well have to chat some. I'm not willing to give up the street because of the mpg and city street handling. The v-rod and street are both in gloss black and they are beautiful sitting next to each other.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhh....seen a Veloricty red used bike for sale but my Brown/Black gunfighter seat will look rubbishy on it.
Has anyone ever wrapped their bike? I'm thinking maybe an Electric Blue or Candy Red would work fine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought Denim Black, adding two tone brown and black Corbin seat and the apes and the Bassani muffler and the rootbeer grips and.... :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
"The BEST Street color?" ......................... It's the one that "YOU" like, or want on "YOUR BIKE"! Simple as that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts