Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this a while ago, but I added to it today, so that the post would make sense I thought I would bring you up to speed on the whole project!

Building my haul trailer. I haul a lot for several reasons... mostly
because I like to have two different bikes everywhere I ride.

I acquired this treasure at an auction for the assets of the company that did not pay me for the last 7 weeks I worked there. I had the axles completely rebuilt and new brakes put on it prior to the company's bankruptcy by its owners. So I knew it was old, but I knew it was pretty
**** solid.

These are the before pictures.

So I stripped the inside and sanded the outside, ground out any rust spots I found and filled some holes up. Put on two coats of Omni Epoxy paint in the form of flat white primer. I insulated the walls and finished them in paneling. Then finished the ceiling with a white finish board.

Added in a roof vent. A 2000 watt inverter, a small pancake air compressor. A 3500 pound winch, a folding aluminum ramp, flood lights all the way around it. Deep cycle battery, a charger for the battery. LED lighting inside. Then I rhino lined the floor and the stone heights of the outside of the trailer.

Finally a friend of mine wanted in on the action so he airbrushed a little art onto it.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the trailer for almost four years now, I decided to add a few items to it.

We set the trailer up a lot as a base camp for riding different areas of the country. Plus since I have the air bed in it we can also sleep in it if rooms are at a premium.

Was cruising craigslist and saw an 8 foot awning for sale cheap. Went and looked and added it to the trailer.

Came out pretty slick.

All put away!

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep various essentials in the trailer.

I don't keep the wife locked up in the trailer, but we do eat lunch while traveling to a location in it a lot or while using it as a base camp for a location.

Anyway we like it and it offers us the ability to see all parts of North America.

I would like to thank my sponsor... my welder!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cool man! Nice Harleys and nicely built interiors all good with Barbecue and Bourbon. But what I find particularly interesting is the 'Dodge'. Those Hemis and a whole new discussion can start. I am fascinated by Dodge Brand. Wish they introduce in India. I can still see some vintage Dodge trucks plying on road when a trip is planned to Golden Temple, Amritsar, India; but they are rare.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool man! Nice Harleys and nicely built interiors all good with Barbecue and Bourbon. But what I find particularly interesting is the 'Dodge'. Those Hemis and a whole new discussion can start. I am fascinated by Dodge Brand. Wish they introduce in India. I can still see some vintage Dodge trucks plying on road when a trip is planned to Golden Temple, Amritsar, India; but they are rare.

Had a challenger as a kid. Dodge did the best job in bring a modern version to the market. Plus the power in the hemi is just great.

But it is actually my wife's car.

However I have my eye on one that I want.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Love the trailer ! You know how to travel in style ! Seriously tho, there's been a couple times I could have used a winch and an air compressor.

Nice car too. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
I recently met a guy who does the same thing in a Van. Got one of those Sprinters, bikes in the back bit, small living quarters and what not in the middle. Flat white, flower delivery sign on the side. Says he camps out in all kinds of urban areas without an issue. Just likes to get around!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Even used they are a lot of money. The least expensive one I saw one advertised for was asking $20K but it had 390,000 miles on it. That's a lot of bread for a doggone van with that kind of mileage. Everything else was thirty five to one hundred grand or more.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No deal for $20k you can prbably build a few nice trailers like bbally's.
There is a lot of things like this... I have a friend bought one of the toy hauler deals, thinks he will save a ton of money on hotels. I have ran the numbers every way I can think always cheaper to drive and hotel it.... never cheaper to RV it in anyway.... when you figure the real number of weekends you can use it in a lifetime.

That is why I built the trailer..... It can be used for emergency sheltering, but I figure it is my god given right to be able to check into a hotel and run as much hotter water over my body as I feel required!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
There is a lot of things like this... I have a friend bought one of the toy hauler deals, thinks he will save a ton of money on hotels. I have ran the numbers every way I can think always cheaper to drive and hotel it.... never cheaper to RV it in anyway.... when you figure the real number of weekends you can use it in a lifetime.

That is why I built the trailer..... It can be used for emergency sheltering, but I figure it is my god given right to be able to check into a hotel and run as much hotter water over my body as I feel required!
Right on.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up spending in total for your build?

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Right on.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up spending in total for your build?
Counting the new brakes (2 weeks ago) and the new tires (March Load Range D) I have a total of $5700.00 (USD) into it. That includes the wall stuff and the winch, light etc.

Tires are warranted for replacement based on tread depth for 10 years even if they dry rot they get replaced on tread depth as percent of new.

First brakes lasted since 1986 so this should be the last in my life time.

Money well spent IMO. Plus I have garnered many a bottle of attitude for hauling someone's broke down bike somewhere for them. Will take gas money won't take labor, will take whiskey or beer for helping.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts