Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a 2018 model that has the factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, coupled with the steering lock one would think that this would be a deterrent for the riff raff. I have however noticed a few issues with this set-up and don't believe I am alone with these thoughts.

The alarm's sensitivity cannot be adjusted. The seat can be removed from the bike without setting off the alarm, indeed the side panels can also be removed. By doing so access cab be gained to the leads from the battery - cut one of these and the alarm is disabled.

Have not had to try this on mine but I know from past experience that if you twist the steering hard / quick enough the lock will usually 'snap' and the steering can then be moved freely.

Usually someone who steals a bike like a HD has a van to transport it in so you can see that by carrying out the above then wheeling the bike to the van it could be goodbye HD!

Having had motorbikes stolen / attempted to be stolen previously I have fitted an additional motion detector alarm to mine and when at home it has a chain and anchor securing it in place. Coupled with the fact that there is a Honda Civic on the driveway making the area where the bike is stored (the back yard) inaccessable if you should want to get a bike out, I think I am as secure as I could be - but I do worry about if I am out on a ride and have to leave my bike anywhere.

I also wonder how people who go on long overnight road trips sleep at night when their bikes are simply left parked up.

Believe me, if ever I caught anyone tampering with my bike there would be a dented baseball bat disposed of somewhere and a body found lying face down in the local canal - but should that be the answer!

Society these days is ****!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?????

Bike is insured thanks - anyone who loved their bike and had it stolen would agree it's not a good experience and the insurance is little compensation - in my opinion.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The alarm does have a back up power supply, but your general thrust is right, if someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it.

I prefer to rely on my two Staffordshire Bull Terriers who are both equipped with a limited sense of humour when it comes to strangers dawdling anywhere near the house.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that the back up supply existed. Have been trying to get a manual for the newer Street models so I could see what we are up against but have had no luck so far.

I have only assumed that the alarm is at the back of the seat as that appears to be an electronic box that does not exist on the earlier models. Just seems, to me anyway, a poor design when you are able to remove the seat and get to all electrics so easily - love the bike but am not happy with this aspect of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not sure where the alarm module is on a Street, on the Street Rod it's tucked away in a pocket on the tail section and getting to it means a bit of spannering to get to it. If you unplug the module with battery leads disconnected and fob out of range the alarm will still sound. It's not a bad system all in all

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I was right then - same place on the Street. I guess it's not so bad if the alarm sounds when there is no power - I was not aware of that - Thanks for the info.
;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
If somebody really wants to steal a motorcycle it's all but impossible to stop them. A couple of burly guys or a truck with a hoist can make off with it and the thieves can deal with locks, kill switches, and even alarms after the fact. That being said, we can do a lot to try and make our bikes less likely targets:

1) Don't let the bad guys have too much information - Get a cover, preferably one with a locking cable, so the bad guys don't really know what's underneath. Don't get one that screams Harley-Davidson, but a generic one. My initial thought was to stencil mine with "Weber Grill", but then I realized that's also a premium brand.
2) Prevent engine starts - Pulling a plug wire or installing a secondary kill switch can discourage ride off theft. Yes, anybody with mechanical skills can probably figure it out, but that takes time. These guys are most likely looking for something they can make off with quickly.
3) Immovable Object - Chain your bike to an anchor point or post set in the ground. Yes, a set of bolt cutters can make short work of the chain, but if the thief hasn't planned for that he's beat.
4) Disk Lock - If the thief breaks the fork lock, they can squeeze the clutch and wheel the bike away. A disk lock through the brake rotor will immobilize the wheel because it won't clear the brake caliper. Some of them even have their own alarms built in. Some of these can be reasonably easy to defeat with a hammer and punch, but again, that's a tool they have to bring and might not have planned on. I don't know if it's better to get a dark colored one they won't see until they are in the act of stealing the bike or a bright colored one that tells them the owner is taking some anti-theft precautions.
5) Cable lock - You might not want to drag a heavy chain everywhere, but a coiled cable is easy to stow. You can loop it through the wheels, frame and maybe a convenient immovable object. That would at least prevent them from stealing your wheels, possibly prevent roll off theft, and in the best case scenario prevent a couple of guys from carrying it off. Again, this is an easy to defeat measure, but only if they brought the right tools.
6) Go towards the light - Park under a light and not in the shadows. Thieves shy away from working in full view if at all possible.

Not being big, fancy, expensive, nor particularly fast the Street series bikes aren't coveted prizes by thieves wanting a joy ride, at least in the United States. There aren't so many of them sold that it's worth stealing one to be stripped for parts. In other words, these bikes are a pretty low value target around here. Perhaps the best thing we can do to prevent our bikes from being stolen is to park next to nicer bikes.

Reactions: Botty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Target hardening is all you can do. Keep in mind that while motorcyclists fear the van style theft, that is rare. It's not practical to put a small manueverable vehicle in a large lumbering one.
Most moto thefts are simply crimes of opportunity. There is no value for 4 guys to take the risk on stealing the Street.
They do that for 30k bikes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
More to a safe place . really I don't know about the UK but for the most part it is not a big issue in US. Many bike thief's are planned owner want to collect on it. professional bike thiefs don't want these type bikes here.
They want crotch rockets with lots of plastic on them . Easy money on the used market. Insure it and sleep well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately in the UK at the moment there does seem to be a high spate of bike thefts. Some are simply 'joy riders' who will steal your bike on a whim then play with it on wasteland for a few hours and then burn it to hide DNA evidence. Previously despite having good security features on a bike it was stolen. I regret, in my opinion, insurance is little compensation for this especially as at the time I relied on the bike as my means of transport and subsequently lost my job due to public transport not being able to get me to work on time.

The other type of motorcycle theft is one where your bike is simply stolen then shipped off to mainland Europe or Asia where it is sold on and used. There have been many cases of crates rammed full of motorcycles being found by customs intended for shipping for this purpose.

Most areas of the UK face this situation with some area's, i.e. Central London, is an area where if you live and own a motorcycle the majority of insurance companies will simply refuse to offer insurance cover as bike thefts are so high and the police won't even investigate motorcycle thefts!

Leaving your motorcycle anywhere is becoming an issue for most and I feel it is time that manufacturers did a little more to prevent this.

I realise that the motorcycles are perhaps made in countries where thefts are not such an issue but perhaps they should give more consideration to the thefts in the countries that they are selling to. As I say - it's just my opinion which most may think is bollocks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
One of the things that probably works against you and others is that many nations have a tiered licensing scheme that restricts the sizes of motorcycles you can ride at certain levels of licensing. That makes scooters and small motorcycles more common in the UK and other places than in the United States, where the xg500 and xg750 are considered too small for many thieves to bother with.

In my MSF course it was discussed that the most stolen bikes are 50cc scooters, mostly to be shipped overseas. They are also inexpensive enough that a serious investigation into their theft never occurs.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you want to make a major dent in stolen bikes . Stop buying parts from Ebay and Craig's list. Easy money for those that steal them. Rider I know of found his gas tank on line 24 hours after the bike was stolen. It had a custom paint job on it. He was also sure other parts he stumbled on came from his bike. They sell off every thing that does not have a serial number on it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am relatively happy with my security now in that I have done all I feel that it is possible to do. I am only really concerned about parking it up when I am out for a ride - would love a few overnight trips but will only go to places where secure parking is an option.

Unbelievably I found a very good motion detector, far more sensitive than the HD one for less than £8 off ebay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-theft-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Alarm-System-Immobiliser-Security-Remote-Control/153114536668?epid=24015691081&hash=item23a6566adc:g:A3AAAOSwixlbWYZM

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have been riding over 49 years. traveled a lot on the bikes. Parked them at Motels from 5 start to 1 start. Parked them at countless events. Left them for days while I hoped a flight and came back. I never had one stolen, never had a seat or saddle bag stolen. No body ever pour anything in my gas tank because it did not have a lock.
You have a lot more to worry about than stolen bike. Now you will notice most often after you see a few post about stolen bikes of seats or bags. Right behind it comes the links to save you for a price.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol, well mine wasn't a link to save you for a price - it was just my solution to prevent the seat being removed without the alarm activating - which I still am unhappy about, but think I have done all I can.

You are extremely fortunate to have not had any issues with your bike being stolen. I regret that my experience of riding / leaving bikes has not always been so good.

One of the crazes in the UK at the moment is other 'bikers' actually stopping you and threatening you with a hammer / machette to hand over your bike !!! I see also on you tube that it happens Worldwide. I think it's time to think about a gun!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Lol, well mine wasn't a link to save you for a price - it was just my solution to prevent the seat being removed without the alarm activating - which I still am unhappy about, but think I have done all I can.

You are extremely fortunate to have not had any issues with your bike being stolen. I regret that my experience of riding / leaving bikes has not always been so good.

One of the crazes in the UK at the moment is other 'bikers' actually stopping you and threatening you with a hammer / machette to hand over your bike !!! I see also on you tube that it happens Worldwide. I think it's time to think about a gun!

Not directed at you. But people get hung up on this stuff and it is not a big an issue as it is mad out to be. Location has a lot to do with, type of bike plays a role.
No bikes are stolen here. Even in the larger cities near here not that many. And you can bet a fir number of those taken were inside jobs to collect insurance.

"One of the crazes in the UK at the moment is other 'bikers' actually stopping you and threatening you with a hammer / machette to hand over your bike"
Try that one in the US , you would have a very good chance of being shot on the spot. I carry at all times. And so do most i know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,
here in Germany it is like this:
Without insurance there is no approval.
I insured my Street 750 fully comprehensive insurance and can sit back and relax when I leave it in the garage.
If someone wants to steal them and I don't see them again, I get a new Street 750.

Regards Rico

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
Rico, a common sentiment is that insurance can get me a replacement bike, but it will never be MY BIKE. Some guys put a lot of effort and emotion into their bikes that a check can't cover.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Paul,
yes, I fully agree with you.
The time, money, patience and love you invest in a motorcycle cannot be made up for with no money.
I get weird when someone looks at my motorcycle without me or being around. When I'm there, everything is ok.
Do you have to take out extra insurance for your motorcycles?

Regards Rico

1 - 20 of 22 Posts