Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we know if the throttle and clutch cables are the same on the ends as the Sportster? Want to throw on some lower bars, but don't want to have lines binding all over the place.

Might not be a bad idea to start a sticky with a list of interchangeable parts, as well as aftermarket options for things like plugs, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Do we know if the throttle and clutch cables are the same on the ends as the Sportster? Want to throw on some lower bars, but don't want to have lines binding all over the place.

Might not be a bad idea to start a sticky with a list of interchangeable parts, as well as aftermarket options for things like plugs, etc.

I'll try to check that out for you (if I remember) because I own both a Street 750 and a Sportster but the Street is at my partner's shop for tear-down. I'll be going over there in an hour or so and I just need to check to see if they're the same. They probably are.

If you need custom cables then PM me as we can make up whatever you need.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Just got back. My partner Matt, that's been building motorcycles for decades, said the clutch cable and brake lines are all standard. He suggests you put on the new handle bars and see where you're at before worrying about changing anything. As you mentioned you're going shorter so worst problem is too much cable and brake line. See what you can do with re-routing it possibly to take up the slack.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just got back. My partner Matt, that's been building motorcycles for decades, said the clutch cable and brake lines are all standard. He suggests you put on the new handle bars and see where you're at before worrying about changing anything. As you mentioned you're going shorter so worst problem is too much cable and brake line. See what you can do with re-routing it possibly to take up the slack.
Good advice, hopefully that's what he goes through

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is it possible to have the standard handlebars for the street ? cause currently the dia is smaller and most of the accessories don't fit
What is standard handlebar? You mean 1 inch ones that comes on other Harleys? In that case you will have to buy switch gear and rest of handlebar stuff also because the current switch gear will not fit on a thicker handlebar

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is standard handlebar? You mean 1 inch ones that comes on other Harleys? In that case you will have to buy switch gear and rest of handlebar stuff also because the current switch gear will not fit on a thicker handlebar
Yup, I thought of that too, but will the switch gears be compatible with the street electrical system or will this be an overkill mod ? :|

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup, I thought of that too, but will the switch gears be compatible with the street electrical system or will this be an overkill mod ? :|
I don't think they are compatible, but I haven't really looked into 883 switch gear. One difference I can think is Harley generally has different left and right indicator switches. Street switch gear is similar to other Indian bikes.
Also you will find lot of options at 7/8th since most manufacturers use 7/8

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think they are compatible, but I haven't really looked into 883 switch gear. One difference I can think is Harley generally has different left and right indicator switches. Street switch gear is similar to other Indian bikes.
Also you will find lot of options at 7/8th since most manufacturers use 7/8
True, waiting for 2015 where my dealer said lot of accessories are going to be announced ... :D

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I have to retract this statement. We sent our stock cables to Motion Pro and they were unable to reproduce them in a longer length. ARGH!!! Something to do with the cable housings and not the actual cable itself. We're waiting on Motion Pro to return our stock cables as I have someone else that might be interested in creating the tooling to make custom cables for the Street 500/750. Our cable tools won't work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to retract this statement. We sent our stock cables to Motion Pro and they were unable to reproduce them in a longer length. ARGH!!! Something to do with the cable housings and not the actual cable itself. We're waiting on Motion Pro to return our stock cables as I have someone else that might be interested in creating the tooling to make custom cables for the Street 500/750. Our cable tools won't work.
Any updates StoneFree on the cables? I'm going to need some shorter cables all around. I was thinking about Magnum but that's going to be some big $$

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Any updates StoneFree on the cables? I'm going to need some shorter cables all around. I was thinking about Magnum but that's going to be some big $$

How much shorter than stock do you need? I'll be talking with John Flanders later this week and perhaps I can get you a price and date for delivery.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Liquiddog, I just ran into this issue. While the bars are standard 7/8", the throttle tube appears to be designed to work only with the provided grip. Which I didn't realize until I had a new grip on the clutch side, had cut off the throttle grip, and bam...new grip won't fit. So now, I'm riding around with one proper grip and just twisting a bare throttle tube because I can't find a standard tube that fits the HD throttle housing. And I can't buy a new throttle housing because I can't get one that works with the HD cables.

Anyone out there have a solution?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
- 4" possibly -6" would be ball park. Haven't got the front set up yet though to be certain but if he's going to tool up I'd grab them off of him.
It would be important for him to know exactly unless he just goes with the longer cables that can be used but that wouldn't be optimal. I know, for example, that he's going to make 8" longer cables because those are required for 12" mini-ape hangers that we're dealing with. He'll probably make any length we request on a custom order basis at a wholesale price because we're a commercial account (the benefit of being in the business). I'm sure anyone will be able to custom order from Flanders in the future but they'll pay more because they're not a commercial account.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts