Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys wondering if anyone has had there steering go tight on them ? Its not so tight it cant move but not as smooth as it should be. I had it in the HD workshop about 3 months ago n they told me it was tight n lubed it up and then it was good .. now its gone tight again .. i wouldn't have even put 100km on it since then . Any advice would be great ! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same results as Brent.. I used the following to replace mine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BOZE8RU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits perfectly and was the right part number, amazons "check if it fits" was wrong.

and used the following tools:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K3BNLHA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well worth what was paid, I'm sure I'll use it for other projects. Same goes for the following bearing driver set:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HQMJKC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will say I have 36k miles on mine, haven't rode as much this year as last sadly. But I'd say replace around every 30k miles after experiencing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All, may I have the bearing number, brand and the seals on the Street 750 ? I have been checking at the various sites and I am getting different numbers. Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have gor same problem here but not sure where the problem is?
Please check need to change this one?
O1CN01Mruq1L24QpwZNFn82_!!2926817386.jpg for this place or ? cats.jpg

·
Registered
525 Posts
My 2015 also went through the rusted bearing and replacement, due to I was told poor quality of a dust cover.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
231 Posts
Here is the old ones. Need to be check every year.. Rusted... View attachment 27560
It's unusual for bearings that are properly packed to rust. Does your bike sit outside or subject to be sprayed with a lot of water? If this is an ongoing issue, I would suggest a marine grade grease to assist in elimination of future rust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes this is the reason. I am scond owner and i think the first one was not very interested in service and sold right after 2 years out date of guarantee...

·
Registered
525 Posts
My bike is garaged 100% of the time. Over the 50 odd years that I have been riding, I have had my share of riding in the rain, so now I try to avoid it where possible. I have always hand washed my bikes, never used a power washer. Despite this care, in October 2018 my steering started to seize up and required steering head bearing replacement. At the time I was told that the original dust seals were not of the best quality and that compared to the new ones there was a visible improvement in quality. I must also add that my Street is bike number 11 that I have owned over the years and I have never had anything like a steering head failure in any of the others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts