Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the board. after looking long and hard for a matching set of tires i decided to figure out exactly what size fits the 750 street

I fitted a set of Avon Roadriders in the following sizes:

Front 110/80-17
Rear 160/80/15

People said these would not fit but i am hear to tell you they do.

see pics for proof.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the info. Will you let us know how they perform? I am curious how well they track under wet conditions, cornering and all that good stuff. My bike, which is similar to yours still has the original tires. They seem to function well, but am scared to test them under wet pavement conditions - there is not track on the riding surface. Ride safe :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run Avon tires on all my bikes and love them, after a couple hundred miles on the 750 today i am happy to report they performed flawlessly, sticky as bubble gum, tighter more confident turning, better braking performance and had no rubbing anywhere on the bike. i don't believe you can go wrong with any Avon tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tyres look good too especially the rear one. You got additional sidewall thickness of 23mm, more ground clearance. Do you see any difference in the way it handles?

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's a sweet setup that you have there,and how many miles did you get out of the stock tires before they went south and how much did the new tires run in price? I really like your mini bag set up also which parts did you use?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it handles more crisp, less effort to lean into turns. and the rear fender well is filled now.

Tires were 120 rear and 80 for the front from dennis kirk. the original tires were garbage from day one. she got 5000 before replacing, not worn out but just could not take the bad handling any longer.

The bags are just small bar bags, picked up at bike show for 20 each, stock hardware mounting them, i took a piece of aluminium inside the bag the stiffen them up a bit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just replaced my original scorcher 11 tires at 8,000 miles, and they were getting thin. I decided to go with the Michelin Commander 2 as they are supposed to go 20,000+ miles.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Interesting. My XG750 has just broken 10k Miles. And still on Original tires. Just had them measured by Shoreline HD. Said they were still good. At 4 and 5/32" I forget which was F and R. All the "Chapels" stress the Importance of maintaining proper tire PSI. Don't always check mine, But when needed, its usually 1 pound or so.

I don't understand the complaints about the Scorchers. I ride on varying surfaces. Including Metal Grate Bridges, Even on occasion across a grass field. Never had a problem.

RPM change? It may have only dropped the RPM's slightly. I took 235/70/16 off a Ford Escape. Changed the springs. Installed new rims and 265/70/16 tires. Which were about 1 1/2" bigger. And they did drop the highway RPMs. Sold the truck back in 08. Don't remember how much.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you had any issues with the speedo read out?

Reason I ask is I read somewhere that different size wheels / tyres can confuse the speed sensors, and for those that have ABS it also confuses the ABS system.

How true this is I've no idea, happy to be corrected if it's a crock.

·
Super Moderator
435 Posts
Changing the tire size can impact the readout on the speedometer. The speedometer actually measures RPM's out of the transmission. Assuming that the rear end gear ratio (relative size of sprockets in our case) and rear tire size are known values it's possible to calculate how far the vehicle rolls down the road for a given number of turns of the drive shaft. Within a measured time you have calculated speed. Change the sprockets, the tire size, or slip the wheels and suddenly you aren't going the same distance for the same number of measured RPM's.

My dad's '76 Ford LTD, for example, had a small generator driven by a flex drive near the tail end of the transmission. The speedometer was just an analog volt meter that measured the output with a scale calibrated in MPH instead of volts. The faster you drove, the faster the generator spun and the higher the output voltage. With today's electronics there is probably a sensor on a shaft or gear that counts the RPM's and translates that to an output signal of some sort which would be used to drive a glass panel or translated to an analog voltage.

I'm not up to speed on ABS, thus am not sure how this would impact it. One size tire locking up pretty much looks the same as any other size tire being locked up, but one wheel almost locking up may not be the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the 2016 750 ECM does not support VSS changes for the stock speedo 2016 does not have abs. i run a Powervision on her bike which we use to display gear/speed/rpm this can be corrected within the powervision module.

Here are the latest upgrades

menphis shades hand wind deflectors (modification required to fit the street)
heated grips (BMW grip buddies)
reshaped seat to fit her ass

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello jamie,
I am thinking of upsizing my tyres too, I am just wondering if there is going to be any impact on ABS system? my bike is 2017 ABS model . Any other techinical issues/difficulties apart from odo/speedometer readings.
pls advice..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
in my earlier post i said i don't have ABS on my girls bike. correction it is a 2015 i said 16 in error.

i cannot speak to the ABS. there may be issues as it is tied to the rotation of the tire. i don't want to give you bad advice and have you get in an accident because ABS didn't activate.

With that said ABS typically works on the premise that a tire not moving activates ABS, so in theory a different tire size should not affect it.

I would consult HD corporate to verify.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts