Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was a fun first year of riding, but I am heading to the dealer today to make my trade for a 2010 Dyna Fat Bob (5k miles on it). Much fun learning on the Street, but now that I've been taking some longer rides and am much more comfortable on two wheels I am looking for more bike. Will continue to keep tabs on the forum!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, it was a fun first year of riding, but I am heading to the dealer today to make my trade for a 2010 Dyna Fat Bob (5k miles on it). Much fun learning on the Street, but now that I've been taking some longer rides and am much more comfortable on two wheels I am looking for more bike. Will continue to keep tabs on the forum!
If you don't mind me asking how much did they give you for a trade in? I'm thinking of trading mine in for a Iron 883

·
Registered
766 Posts
if it's anything like at our dealer, they wont give ya much at all!

I seen a guy bring in a "brand new" Honda vfr1200 with very, very low miles, it sells for $14k, they only allowed him $6k for trade in on a bagger.

I told him then, sell it out right, then buy your new Harley.
(he didn't and got ska-rewed big time!) but that was his loss not mine. kinda funny though, how ones "wants" outweighs "good sense"!

sooo, I'd keep it or sell it outright, later.
you'll be lucky if they give ya $3k trade in for it, depending on what you buy.

however, I think we all should have a bike for every day of the week! :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I bought my Steet, the dealer was offering a promotion where they will take it in trade at full price. I assume that's for a new bike, not used. Last time I was in they still had that offer going. I got paperwork on it when I bought mine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
With the issues with the 750, my dealer gave me 8K for the bike, which had tons of mods. Traded for a 2015 1200C Sportster. What a difference!

·
Registered
766 Posts
With the issues with the 750, my dealer gave me 8K for the bike, which had tons of mods. Traded for a 2015 1200C Sportster. What a difference!

wow!...that sounds pretty good, but it depends on how much you had in all the mods I suppose....!

as long as you're happy and still riding, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't mind me asking how much did they give you for a trade in? I'm thinking of trading mine in for a Iron 883
4500 on the trade in... make sure you look at others in the line up, the 883 might not feel like enough of an upgrade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, did your monthly payment go up very much? I don't need exact figures, just wondering because I am also thinking of trading for a sportster 1200

·
Registered
45 Posts
4500 on the trade in... make sure you look at others in the line up, the 883 might not feel like enough of an upgrade.
The 883 only has a 3.3 gallon tank. Less than the XG-750. Not enough range for me.
I was looking at a used 48. I like the smaller size of the sportster range. I don't care to much about an upgrade I just don't want to deal with the lag and leap problem. This is my first bike and always wanted a Harley I got one and then this problem started...starting to think I should have went with a triumph or a naked bike like I was thinking about too.

But, I love the Iron 883 and the 48 so idk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was looking at a used 48. I like the smaller size of the sportster range. I don't care to much about an upgrade I just don't want to deal with the lag and leap problem. This is my first bike and always wanted a Harley I got one and then this problem started...starting to think I should have went with a triumph or a naked bike like I was thinking about too.

But, I love the Iron 883 and the 48 so idk

HDMC is definitely a genius when it comes to marketing and overall brand loyalty. It's interesting that the dangerous aspect of the lag and leap issue, lack of a resolution, some complaints (not a lot but some) about local dealerships, etc. and continue to see many people losing money on the Street and buying another Harley.
I'm in the same boat though. I'm still keeping my Street but only because it's a great fit for me and haven't found another Harley that provides the level of comfort and handling. I had a Sportster 883 but just didn't like how it rode and therefore, stayed in the garage without being used. If I'm not comfortable or confident on the bike, then it runs the risk of not being used. I've been tempted to consider another Harley but so far the Street has been doing well after the fuel pump replacement and love how it rides! I just hope they have a permanent fix soon so I don't have to worry about the replacement pump failing like it has for many others on the forum.
Anyways, just an observation regarding these posts about replacing the Street or "upgrading". I've considered it myself but decided to see how the investigation goes about the lag and leap issue and definitely want the Street around for thousands and thousands of miles. My loyalty will only last so long though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am intrigued by the Sportster 1200T, touring model. Mainly, since it has mid mounted foot controls similar to Street. It is 100lbs heavier and it has a smaller and wider front tire. Not sure about handling, primarily in curves; how does it compare with the Street 750. I think I will try it and see.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeah, I'd sooner use the Lennon law and get every cent back then buy a used bike and not look back.

don't know about your state, but three times a charm here!
texas too, If I remember correctly.

I like my street well enough, I think I'll go with an external fuel pump if it gets down to it....not completely sure though, at this point.

I'd really like it if even some aftermarket mfr would design and build a complete replacement fuel pump/pickup assembly tube kit that would be an exact replacement for these defective ones. then everyone that has to buy one take Harley to small claims court to get reimbursed for all the cost!..or even as a class action lawsuit!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am intrigued by the Sportster 1200T, touring model. Mainly, since it has mid mounted foot controls similar to Street. It is 100lbs heavier and it has a smaller and wider front tire. Not sure about handling, primarily in curves; how does it compare with the Street 750. I think I will try it and see.

I haven't had any experience with any sportster. but if I was to, I'd like the one you mentioned, due to the fact of the wider front tire.

I have had other bikes with a narrow front tire and they seemed more sensitive to defects in the road more so than bikes with wider front tires.....just my 1/2 cent worth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
@Rock270,
Thanks for your input. I would keep the Street 750 also, since I have done some major upgrades. My son can use it. I am 72, relatively new rider, so I am not sure how 100lbs heavier bike would do for me. And I like to ride on curvy roads in North California foothills.

·
Registered
766 Posts
@Rock270,
Thanks for your input. I would keep the Street 750 also, since I have done some major upgrades. My son can use it. I am 72, relatively new rider, so I am not sure how 100lbs heavier bike would do for me. And I like to ride on curvy roads in North California foothills.

you are welcome.
100 lbs heavier would mostly be noticeable I think, if you had to lift it, if it was to tip over, which is very rare.

I would take a test ride on the bike and get the feel.
I know our dealer allowed me to ride the street for quite a distance and on different roads. my salesman rode another bike with me.

oh yeah, I too love riding on curvy roads, it makes any ride more enjoyable. I would also recommend to take full advantage of both Harley's riding courses. the beginner and also the advanced. the things you will learn in those courses will be very helpful. I've read that most accidents that happen on curvy roads is due to a rider not knowing about counter steering and wind up high siding, which is very serious, plus it helps you avoid target fixation if you happen up on a hazard, especially in a curve at speed. this knowledge will indeed save you from a serious mishap.....just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts