Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...
I didn't like the sight of the cable and had to change this (see pictures) ...
I took a shrink tube, I couldn't find anything better ...
Did you still make it original or did you do it differently?
best regards enRico

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
680 Posts
I think you have a good suggestion there. One of the big complaints about these bikes was the exposed wiring and connections, and you've managed to make some of it blend in with the other black stuff a little better.

I have given some thought to covering a few brightly colored bits of wiring and connectors with black electrical tape, but was never bothered enough by it to take any action. The heat shrink tubing is better because it doesn't leave any residue if you have to remove it.

Reactions: Janmad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought for a long time what I could change without much effort.
The new Street 750A has a black cap on it, I wanted to buy it from HD, but it is not available individually, the seller said. My dad told me, try shrink tubing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's very smart, Janmad! Adding the tubing protects the backside of the connector from moisture that creates corrosion. I have a collection of shrink tubing of varying sizes. I'll look for the smallest size that will fit around the connector to close the open wiring at the connector. I already have a 'heat gun'.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's why we're here to help others and to exchange ideas ...
I'm very happy to be here, I just hope that the translation is okay as I translate with Google, because my English is not very good good and no English was allowed to learn in school ...

I put both plugs in a shrink tube ...
But it's a very fiddly thing ...
But be careful with the heat not too long otherwise it can quickly be defected because of the sharp edges of the connector ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So now I've taken a picture of the other cable.
That's up on the handbrake lever.
Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the original condition now, but you just need to look at your motorcycles to see how it looks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't have a tube big enough to wrap around the plugs. So, I filled the backs of the plugs with dielectric grease to protect the contacts. I ordered some 3/4" tubing. That ought to work!

·
Registered
5 Posts
@[email protected]: I like your disguise very much ...
That was definitely a lot of work, wasn't it ???
Not really... It's just split loom over the existing wiring. Doing it while I had the tank off to add a Smart Turn System self cancelling turn signal module helped a little, but could have done it with the tank on.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks to Janmad, I am discovering the wonders of 3/4" shrink tubing. Looking from beneath upward, this is my newly covered front brake light connectors.
Brake Light wiring.jpeg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Guaire...
that looks a lot better than before, doesn't it ???
Does it also fit below ???
I also took the 13mm from above, but unfortunately I can't say exactly.
My motorcycle is in a different garage and I won't be there until the weekend and I'll get a better picture of the size of the hose ...
best regards enRico

·
Registered
21 Posts
The length on mine extends well past the bare wire and over the original wire cover. I used a heat gun about as much as I could dare. I checked the brake light and the brake line was alright.
Your 13mm is wider than 1/2" and smaller than my 3/4". I found the inch size on Amazon. I didn't buy it in a package of various sizes, as I already have plenty of the variety packs! I was lacking a big enough wrap that would take both sockets through together. 3/4" is plenty to get that done.
Tape just doesn't get it done. There's also a brush on product called Liquid Tape, but I would only use it on a small area. It isn't actually tape!
Since looking at the handle bar area I noticed more bare wires. There is a pair coming out of the right side turn signal housing. There's a bare section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts