Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
This is great now I know the rinehart staggered true duals can be fitted to it almond with a KN filter.

Reactions: HarleyVest

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dyno seems to also have a cool iOS app with wireless connectivity. It's gonna be a pain to get one to India. But I think the demand for this will slowly increase, once harley riders start exploring theyre own bike. I spoke to the local harley tech guy here in bangalore, and he wasn't aware that this stuff was available. India has a long way to go when it comes to performance tuning knowledge. Future is brig, as they say.

Cheers,

KK

·
Registered
228 Posts
Great to see a company coming out with this service. I bet there will be plenty more companies that come out with their own tuning kits for the HD Street. The HD Street 500 just seems to be begging for it.

Those dyno charts are a bit confusing to me though. Not really sure how to read them properly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am fairly certain that H-D themselves should have a tuning program available sometime in the future as well. If any considerable changes are made with these bikes somewhere down the road (e.g.-exhaust, cams, head porting, etc.) they will certainly need to be remapped. Many EFI tuning packages such as DynoJet offers have a map for many different combinations of upgrades. As far as not being able to read the charts, don't worry, there are shops and dealerships that Do know how to tune properly. Take it to a professional.

Reactions: Sherri

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am fairly certain that H-D themselves should have a tuning program available sometime in the future as well. If any considerable changes are made with these bikes somewhere down the road (e.g.-exhaust, cams, head porting, etc.) they will certainly need to be remapped. Many EFI tuning packages such as DynoJet offers have a map for many different combinations of upgrades. As far as not being able to read the charts, don't worry, there are shops and dealerships that Do know how to tune properly. Take it to a professional.
Alright, glad I am not the only one who doesn't fully understand what is going on there. I'll have to ask someone who has some more experience in the tuning world to give me a quick primer on how to read these charts. I see them posted around a lot.

Since HD wants the Street to be customized quite a bit, I think that we will see HD come out with tuning maps along with some other companies as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased the first Dynojet dynamometer in our area 18 years ago, and my training certificate was #0002 . I have dealt with them for years, and they are always up on the new bikes and providing numerous new maps for a multitude of engine, cam, exhaust combinations. Certainly they will include much for the Streets. Now, our youngest son is the head dyno technician at our local H-D dealership, and has received training at both H-D and S&S. We are very anxious to get our hands on one of these new Street models.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I purchased the first Dynojet dynamometer in our area 18 years ago, and my training certificate was #0002 . I have dealt with them for years, and they are always up on the new bikes and providing numerous new maps for a multitude of engine, cam, exhaust combinations. Certainly they will include much for the Streets. Now, our youngest son is the head dyno technician at our local H-D dealership, and has received training at both H-D and S&S. We are very anxious to get our hands on one of these new Street models.
Thats great gears!

If you end up tuning a street be sure to keep us in the loop. I'm curious to see if there could be a few hp the street can pick up even from a filter or a different exhaust. Not much but every ounce of power counts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guarantee there is a good amount HP increase to be had over any factory stock motorcycle, and even with a small amount of changes. However, keep in mind the old saying "How much HP do you want to...................spend".

·
Registered
633 Posts
that is pretty awesome

wonder who is 0001

·
Registered
544 Posts
Harley has something called a Screaming Eagle Supertuner that allows owners to reflash the stock ecm with new look up tables. The Supertuner comes with a dongle they call the VCI for Vehicle Communication Interface. The VCI attaches between the USB port on your computer and the data port on the motorcycle. Once you attach a VCI to a bike, it is married to that bike's ecm and cannot be used on any other bike (well, not always, if you have to buy a new ecm, Harley can wipe the Supertuner clean so you can use it with the new ecm, but the software to do that is like a military secret Harley guards closely). But with the Supertuner and software for your laptop that comes with it you can make all kinds of tuning changes to your bike. The newer Harleys including the Street come with O2 sensors and the VCI can be attached to your bike as you ride to permit data logging. If you know what you are doing you can tune the bike without a dyno based on the bike's O2 sensor and other sensor readings you can access through the Supertuner software.

The nice thing about a Supertuner is that it uses the bikes original ecm. With most other after market tuners, you have to add a component to the bike and wire it into the ecm circuit. The aftermarket tuner takes the stock ecms outputs and modifies them. Aside from the difficulty of finding a place to hide these tuners among the clutter of wires and sensors under the bikes bodywork, cutting and splicing the tuners wiring into your bikes wiring harness opens up lots of opportunities for things to go wrong over time. The tuners themselves fail too. You can get lots of drivability problems from failing tuners or problems with your connections to the wiring harness. Any time you splice into the stock harness you open a can of worms.

With the Supertuner, you do not disturb anything in the wiring harness. You reflash the ecm directly through the data port. Any problems are due to the tuning choices you made in the look up tables you flashed into the ecm and can be corrected with different tuning choices. You haven't butchered the bikes wiring using a Supertuner.

There is a similar tuning system called TTS Mastertune. The owner of TTS Mastertune developed something called the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner for Harley. They had a business disagreement and parted ways. After TTS Mastertune came out, based very closely on the SE Race Tuner, Harley stopped selling the Race Tuner and introduced the Supertuner. Like the Supertuner and Race Tuner, TTS Mastertune uses a VCI that connects to the bike's data port and to your computers USB port. It has more tuning features than the Supertuner and unlike the Race Tuner and Supertuner, you can buy a version of TTS Mastertune that works on more than one motorcycle. This is a nice feature to have if you have more than one Harley in the garage you want to fool around with. Like the Supertuner, they cost around $400 and come with software you load on your home computer or laptop. Their tuning guide is a lot better than the Supertuners. It explains a lot about how to tune these bikes, much better than other tuners I have seen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts