Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I am ridding my street 750 from past 6 months & have ridden only 1000 KMS.

Now I am planning to upgrade from Street 750. The options that i am considering are,
1. Iron 883 - Just for sound
2. Forty-Eight - Looks fabulous, great sound, great power turns down on fuel tank capacity & riding position
3. Street Bob - Looks good, great sound, great power turns down on the ape hangers & a looks when compared to forty-eight.

Need your help in making the decision.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldn't buy any vehicle just for sound, I'd be more concerned with the fit and feel of the bike. It is hard to comapre those three bikes as they are each different. Street bob has alot more power and is much bigger than the Sportsters. It ultimatley is your decision, as you will be the one riding it. Go to your local HD dealer and give each a test ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't buy any vehicle just for sound, I'd be more concerned with the fit and feel of the bike. It is hard to comapre those three bikes as they are each different. Street bob has alot more power and is much bigger than the Sportsters. It ultimatley is your decision, as you will be the one riding it. Go to your local HD dealer and give each a test ride.
Personally I don't like the sewing machine nor remus, V&H & Firebrand. They sound a little rookie. I'm not a lover of loud pipes but the sound should be a little rugged. All of the three are not available for test ride & not sure when they will. So its getting hard to decide.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are you looking for a bike that YOU will want or one that everyone else in "the crowd" accepts?
Sportsters are a "girl's bike" didn't you know?
Personally, I think a nice Night Rod Special is the ticket, but VRods are not real Harleys. LOL... ah, the world of the Harley Davidson traditionalists.

Seriously, all of the bikes you listed are nice bikes. I really love the Sportsters, but I am not a fan of the peanut style tanks, I like the 4.5 gallon Custom tanks. Given that single fact, if the only choices are the three you listed, I would pick the Street Bob, and throw away the apes for a lower handlebars.

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1 for the Street Bob. Even though I do like the Spotsters. I just traded my XR1200x for a Night Rod. Mainly because I was in pain after 50 miles. But I did love the sound, the handling, and the power.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Confused!!

Now I have decided to go for Dyna family but now the question is Street Bob vs Fat Bob?

I have test ride both & now I am totally confused for the right ones.

Please help me choose one!

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Dear All,

I am ridding my street 750 from past 6 months & have ridden only 1000 KMS.

Now I am planning to upgrade from Street 750. The options that i am considering are,
1. Iron 883 - Just for sound
2. Forty-Eight - Looks fabulous, great sound, great power turns down on fuel tank capacity & riding position
3. Street Bob - Looks good, great sound, great power turns down on the ape hangers & a looks when compared to forty-eight.

Need your help in making the decision.
What you propose is not an "upgrade" but a change in the type of motorcycle that would be driven by "riding needs" and for no other logical reason. The motorcycle should always match the needs of the rider and that's the most important criteria in making a selection or a change. It doesn't have anything to do with an "upgrade" or a "downgrade" because the person that rides a Sportster but who's riding needs are really more aligned with a Street 750 would arguably be making a downgrade in their choice of motorcycle.

Of note I would probably question the reasons for your change because you haven't put enough miles (kilometers) on your Street 750 in 6-months to warrant a larger motorcycle that is more aligned with touring over greater distances. For touring purposes a larger motorcycle is attractive (but not necessary) but if all you're doing is short distance riding they make no real sense.

·
Registered
19 Posts
StoneFree is SO Right! Your personal riding needs, what type of riding are you going to do - that's key! And your comfort I would add. Otherwise - all 3 bikes of your choice are just excellent bikes!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome to my dilemma... I have a street 750 and have done over 5000 Kms on it. I got it specifically for commuting in a city, being new to driving patterns in India, I felt this was the best mode of transport for me in the city. However, I find that as I became proficient with my car and working through the traffic without killing anybody because of the unruly rules (!), the Street has become irrelevant, and especially in the context of the HOG rides, where the street is insufficient to keep up with all the other riders from 883 upwards (in power and capacity) - The HOG rides were a completely new concept to me and I have participated in a few and find that I now need a more "cruising" bike.
Stonefree is right in his assessment of choice of bike suited to the purpose of it.

My choice rested on the 1500 plus cc Street Bob as something that will fit the bill of a cruiser bike for long distances. I plan to commute within city in my AWD SUV...

Jay

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Street 750 is very nice. I too got it specifically for city commuting & taking into consideration about the Indian roads & traffic. After I bought it I immediately started feeling that its too short for me since i'm (5'11"). While riding in city it becomes very difficult to touch down the foot & bring it back on the foot rest. I also feel very crampy while riding. I'm not a big fan of long rides & Group rides but I like to ride alone or with my family & friends but only in weekends. Also the sound of 750 is a little disappointment. These all things made me resistant for riding it more. Hence its only 1000 kms.

Now recently I discovered that Street bob & Fat bob seat height is even lower than Street 750!!! Now its surely a NO to the Dyna's. Upon further comparisons I noticed that the Iron 883 & Forty Eight have a little more seat height. The test rides are not available for both models.

By looking at few points below can anyone of you suggest me which one you feel should better suit me,

1) Will be rarely going for long rides & group rides
2) City Commuting will be primary
3) I am 5"11" with average built
4) Should have a nice potato sound
5) Comfortable to ride short distance(100 Kms) with Rider + Pillion sometimes in weekend
6) Will be using it atleast for 5 years

This time I don't want to regret my decision hence any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What you propose is not an "upgrade" but a change in the type of motorcycle that would be driven by "riding needs" and for no other logical reason. The motorcycle should always match the needs of the rider and that's the most important criteria in making a selection or a change. It doesn't have anything to do with an "upgrade" or a "downgrade" because the person that rides a Sportster but who's riding needs are really more aligned with a Street 750 would arguably be making a downgrade in their choice of motorcycle.

Of note I would probably question the reasons for your change because you haven't put enough miles (kilometers) on your Street 750 in 6-months to warrant a larger motorcycle that is more aligned with touring over greater distances. For touring purposes a larger motorcycle is attractive (but not necessary) but if all you're doing is short distance riding they make no real sense.

I agree with you Stonefree that upgrade or downgrade might not be the right words but I couldn't find a right word at that moment.

Seat height is a liitle problem here for street 750 & it becomes very crampy with the pillion.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I agree with you Stonefree that upgrade or downgrade might not be the right words but I couldn't find a right word at that moment.

Seat height is a liitle problem here for street 750 & it becomes very crampy with the pillion.
I also found the footpegs to be in a weird location but got used to it (I've been on so many different motorcycles that I adapt very quickly) but I have a thought. Have you ever considered forward foot controls? I'd love to sell you the one's were developing but I believe a company in India is already offering them. They take a little getting used to but they provide plenty of leg room and it's easy taking your feet off the pegs and onto the ground during stops. You might also consider a seat change that moves you back slightly (that I can help you with) I think the Street 750 is perfect for you but needs a few tweaks (modifications) to make it perfect for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also found the footpegs to be in a weird location but got used to it (I've been on so many different motorcycles that I adapt very quickly) but I have a thought. Have you ever considered forward foot controls? I'd love to sell you the one's were developing but I believe a company in India is already offering them. They take a little getting used to but they provide plenty of leg room and it's easy taking your feet off the pegs and onto the ground during stops. You might also consider a seat change that moves you back slightly (that I can help you with) I think the Street 750 is perfect for you but needs a few tweaks (modifications) to make it perfect for you.

How far in development are these? Not too crazy about where the foot controls are right now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
By looking at few points below can anyone of you suggest me which one you feel should better suit me,

1) Will be rarely going for long rides & group rides
2) City Commuting will be primary
3) I am 5"11" with average built
4) Should have a nice potato sound
5) Comfortable to ride short distance(100 Kms) with Rider + Pillion sometimes in weekend
6) Will be using it atleast for 5 years

This time I don't want to regret my decision hence any help would be appreciated!
Since my 500 has been at the dealer to get a new fuel pump I have been riding a 2015 Switchback. It is a Dyna. I am 5'7 and I can easily flat foot my Street. I can barely flat foot the Switchback while completely stretching my legs. It's a 103 cubic inch motor and it is real nice on the highway. Much more comfortable seat, the forward controls were surprising easy to get used to, but not well suited for my height. That should't be an issue for you. That said, in the city, it's a bear. As the motor and transmission heat up the amount of grab the clutch has fluctuates. In stop and go traffic it gets hot quick, and it's not been higher than the high 70's the past week. I can't imagine how much it would suck on a 90 degree day. For any considerable amount of city riding, I personally would not use a big twin bike. For a lot of long touring style rides I would be more comfortable on a v twin out of the box. The easiest way to make the Street more comfortable for long rides would be a better seat. I might also change the bars to ones with a little more pull back and height for long distance rides. I don't do any real group riding so I can't weigh in on the keep up factor, but my bike will do 75 all day so I don't see how it would matter if you lag behind at first since you'd be fully capable of catching up and maintaining speed with them. For mostly city riding I would much rather have my Street (and I'm very ready to get it back). Ultimately it's your call and your preference.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
How far in development are these? Not too crazy about where the foot controls are right now.
About 95% there but with my relocation to Arizona becoming the highest priority, and about 30 years of stuff to sort through, discard, donate, or sell before the move, all work has virtually stopped. I'm down to six weeks before the move and have so much to do that you wouldn't believe it.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
For mostly city riding I would much rather have my Street (and I'm very ready to get it back). Ultimately it's your call and your preference.
I would agree with this 100%. The Street is an exceptional motorcycle around town and is also very good for those weekend rides in the country. While the Street (or any motorcycle) can be used for touring that is not it's strong point so how much a person is into long touring rides is the key question. First and foremost I always address "primary purpose" in selection of the motorcycle and then if it isn't exactly perfect I modify it until it is. The basic motorcycle is what to focus on, especially with Harleys, because modifications to fit the motorcycle to your personal traits is a Harley-Davidson tradition.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts