Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I own a xg750 street. I have removed the upper yoke, gas tank, put on several custom parts and never had the problem I'm currently having. I recently removed my upper yoke to replace with a freespirit replacement, and when I put everything back together, got the bike off the lift, I took it for a test ride. The steering initially was very firm and obviously made the bike
difficult to ride! I got it back in the garage, looked for a pinched cable or possibly one that just needed slack. I couldnt find anything like that, so I checked all my bolts, made sure they were all in, decently torqued and decided to relieve some of the torque on the center Allen bolt that goes right down into the steering stem. I sat on the bike to see if the steering was better and my dad, who helps me out sometimes, as well as myself thought it was now very noticeably better if not as it should be. Took it for another test ride and started feeling like the front tire was either flat or loose somehow. At this point I'm just hoping someone can tell me what might be the issue, or what possibly I am just to dumb to notice! Anyway, like I said at the beginning, I have done the exact same thing before to the same bike (I relocated both the ignition and speedometer, which required removing both the gas tank and upper yoke). I did all of this work at a formula ford dealership Collision center, fully supervised and walked through the process by all the techs. One of the guys helping me, has been tearing apart and custom building bikes as a hobby/side hustle since way before I became the fastest swimmer. I paid attention and honestly, as many of you know, it's pretty easy to learn the process especially because it was on my bike, and the same exact thing I'm trying to do now. I had the bike lifted off the ground, made very sure every part was accounted for, and used brand new hardware to replace a few things. I am hoping someone here will be willing to read through all this bullshit and crack an egg of knowledge for me. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to think it through.

·
Registered
609 Posts
On my 750 Street when the symptoms you describe occurred, I had to change out the rusted steering head bearings and seals. Just a thought.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did have that free spirits upper. It made a huge difference. I'd say get those steering bearings completely swapped as Propnut suggested. Mine at less than two years old were completely rusted and surprised I didn't have worse trouble. I kept my bike under cover as often as possible mainly due to being in FL, but did see its fair share of rain riding.

·
Registered
609 Posts
When I had mine done the info I got from the mechanic was that there was a change in the dust seals which suggested that it was a design change after the initial batches were made for the release of the new Street series. After the new bearings and seals I have had no further problems.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
680 Posts
On my 750 Street when the symptoms you describe occurred, I had to change out the rusted steering head bearings and seals. Just a thought.
The rested steering head bearings are something that I have seen mentioned on a couple of YouTube ownership reviews of these bikes. I haven't seen it come up a lot on the forum, though. I didn't think it was a common problem on these bikes, but I may be wrong.

Reactions: Lesblank
1 - 5 of 5 Posts