Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
313 Posts
See, it is an unwritten law... if you buy a Harley-Davidson, you have to spend lots of money on goodies to make it your own. I like the stock looks of the Street bikes. I am sure the seat would have to be replaced in order for me be able to ride it for more than 15 minutes, just like my Sportster and Street Rod.

· Registered
594 Posts
It is! Coming from a quarter century riding BMWs, which are complete from the day you buy them, the first months with my then new Street Rod were highly frustrating. No storage for registration, insurance, tools, a tire plug kit (boy did that bite me.......twice!) or any way to carry anything anywhere. I had to use a back pack, which sucked majorly.

Then it dawned on me that Harleys are kind of like a blank canvas that you paint on, customizing to fit your needs and that, lo and behold, Harley has a sense of humor about customers doing things to their bikes. It's expected. No one leaves one stock. Now the bike has been changed in numerous ways and it fully meets my needs. Kind of cool actually.

· Registered
326 Posts
Street is 70% made in India and only thing imported are Tank and Fenders which would be localised soon. Thus I think Gearbox and Piston are no Getrag and Mahle stuff but India sourced. You can check that out with the magazine.

Any replies from those people? No body goes against a Harley in USA, it's forbidden..!!

· Registered
594 Posts
Too bad it's not Getrag, they're known for making some great transmissions, one of my favorite automobiles came with a getrag
Eh, Getrag makes the gears and shafts for the 6 speed "Cruise Drive" gearbox used on Big Twins since 2006 or 2007, and that one didn't turn out so well for Harley. In short, they are fragile and none of the drag racers will use them. They toss them for a well built legacy five speed. Those don't scatter parts when you drop the hammer on them.

There were also some resonances with the drive belt that forced them to offer a replacement pulley with rubber isolators for the first two years of that gearbox, followed by a redesign of the rear wheel and pulley to incorporate a better rubber isolation system. Talking to a Harley engineer at a bike show once he told me that Getrag designs a gearbox to take the power of the stock bike, but they don't do very well building in a margin for high performance upgrades. The Harley engineer shook his head saying it isn't so good for the Harley image when a customer drops a Screaming Eagle Stage II kit on his brand new Road Glide and promptly blows the gearbox. Getrag isn't ten feet tall. Plenty of other firms make motorcycle gearboxes without leaning on Getrag for help. Sportsters never had Getrag gears or shafts and they are reliable even with built motors.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.