Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys / Gals,

Have managed to obtain a Service Manual for the 750 Street and due to bad weather here and not being able to ride I have been having a read and looking at how to do various servicing tasks.

I have been trying to find the dismantling / removal of parts that is required to gain access to the valves in order to check and adjust them but the manual only seems to refer to complete engine rebuilds in this area!

Has anyone found a source of instruction on how to check / adjust the valves?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Basically;

Get rear wheel off the ground
Lift the rear of the tank
Remove air filter
Remove rocker covers
Take plugs out
Put bike in 5th or 6th gear, and rotate engine with rear wheel
Get one cylinder to TDC
There are timing marks on the camshaft sprocket that need to be in a certain position
Measure clearance with feeler guages
Adjust as necessary
Adjustment is by screw and lock nut
Repeat on other cylinder
Put it all back together

Clearances for the 750 should be;
Inlet 5 to 7 thou
Exhaust 7 to 9 thou

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great - thank you. Was uncertain if you needed to remove the tank etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys / Gals,

Have managed to obtain a Service Manual for the 750 Street and due to bad weather here and not being able to ride I have been having a read and looking at how to do various servicing tasks.

I have been trying to find the dismantling / removal of parts that is required to gain access to the valves in order to check and adjust them but the manual only seems to refer to complete engine rebuilds in this area!

Has anyone found a source of instruction on how to check / adjust the valves?

Thanks in advance.

About 19:07 in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, I don't like it ! :( I LOVE IT ! :)

Reading the manuals and watching this video has shown how simple they are to work on too.

I love that tool that he checks / adjusts the valves with - gotta put that on my Christmas list !!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so now I know how to adjust the valves. Am trying to source an adjustment tool.

Has anyone got the size required to adjust the valves - not the spanner needed to tighten them = the actual size of the valve / tappet head?

EBay have them in 3, 3.5, 9 and 10mm :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
To adjust the valves, you'll need a 10mm open end wrench, and a stubby flat-head screwdriver - assuming you don't go with that shiny tool they show in the video. I might get that one myself, because I have a Suzuki that could also use that tool for valve adjustment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but for sake of not starting another and fragmenting information I'm reviving it. I'm looking over the service manual and really want to pop the valve cover and check the valve lash. The service manual is saying to replace the valve cover bolts. At 100+ for a set of bolts, I'm hesitant to bust it open. Question is, if anyone who's worked on their valves, did you have to replace the bolts? The gasket I have no issue with. Just find it hard to believe that bolts are disposable...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
Well I took mine off and put it back with the same bolts as previous, I did use a new gasket. Have put a few miles on it since and no leaks / issues.

Money is tight with me as I am an old git with a small pension, I don't agree with cutting corners and what my bike needs my bike will get but where I can save a few pounds I will and these bolts would have cost around £18.

Like you, I really can't see the need to replace the bolts as they seemed in good condition and providing you torque them down properly they should be ok.

If they were bolts that held a major piece of high revving equipment in place I probably would have replaced them but at the end of the day all that they do is hold the valve covers in place so I really don't think it is necessary to replace them - others may disagree but then it's my bike eh.

I don't wish to appear cynical but perhaps this is why HD services cost so much ? ;)

·
Registered
2015 HD STREET 500
13 Posts
I totally agree with you. Don't replace the bolts, just replace valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
2015 HD STREET 500
13 Posts
And I hope you didn't pay 1149.00 for the valve adjusting tools. Your link was ridiculous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts