Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any1 has put a vance and Hines air filter on.. I have the screamin eagle filter in stock cover but wondering if it's worth doin the pod filter type... Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have precisely the sort of feedback you are looking for, here is what I wrote in another thread on these forums some time ago.
I purchased the vance and hines VO2 air filter in December which made all the difference! Especially over that garbage stage 1 screaming eagle filter I had gotten along with the "download" Speaking of which, to any other members reading this please don't make mistake guys, take my word for it and save yourself the time and money and just get a non-HD-aftermarket high air flow filter like the V&H, the difference is night and day. I regret not taking before and after video footage but I simply did not predict that the new air filter would have the all encompassing impact on my ride as it did (engine breathing better an louder, louder and smoother exhaust note, shifting-gears feels smoother and not as "clunky", better engine response, smoother acceleration [especially in the low end]). I honestly only initially got it because I liked the aesthetics of it over the "black box" that comes with the 750s....when I even talked to the dealship about how my latest purchase would affect my warranty they tried to tell me that the difference in performance over their stage 1 SE filter would be minimal if anything...oh how utterly full of **** those people can be!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I believe the Vance and Hines air filter kit he was suggesting was this one...

VO2 AIR INTAKE-NAKED | VANCE & HINES
Yes he was. I was just trying to figure out which one he was referring to when he said the crappy stage 1 filter. I think it's the one I got. I wonder if I would see a performance increase with the vo2. But honestly it would only be for piece of mind that it runs better over the long term like years down the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is this a K&N air filter with HD branding? Or did I buy the crappy one you are talking about lol

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/screamin-eagle-performance-air-cleaner-kit

Thanks
Yes sir, that's precisely the "crappy one" that I myself had originally bought and used prior to getting the V&H VO2 air-filter.

I am sure that your ride will be just fine with that filter in the long run however I can assure you that she'll be much happier with the V&H (presuming that your ride has a gender and is female ;-) ).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vance and Hines everything

I got the vance and hines filter, exhaust, and fuelpack3 what a difference it made for the bike. Stock it was a dog in my opinion these three upgrades made it a lion haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just can't part with the extra cash for the best air cleaner setup, so I was looking at ways to improve the sock air box. First I looked at the inlet diameter which is 28mm and I checked the diameter of the throttle body...38mm. So the beast isn't getting fully fed, no wonder its a dog. If you remove the air inlet, which screws out in a three piece assembly. You end up with a 40mm opening and you can hear the throttle body open when you throttle up while riding. I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is in power but it feels like it pulls harder.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am curious if I could modify and use the screaming eagle air cleaner medallion as a cover plate for this kit? don't really like the covers from v&h I've seen so far.

thanks..

·
Registered
58 Posts
*WARNING*
*Check your 750 & 500 Stock Air Filter Box Assembly asap

I found loose bolts on the Stock Air Filter Box, that stripped out from the cylinder heads...

Well I installed my Vance & Hines V02 high-flow intake yesterday. Well partially anyway.

I removed the Stock Air Cleaner cover, which was quite a bit heavier than it looks (Metal - Not Plastic), then I removed the Plastic filter plate with paper filter element, and found in the back of the filter box were two bolts just sitting there. not screwed into anything. So I continued to remove the stock filter box to find those two bolts were from the Cylinder Heads, Yes the Aluminum Heads, the ones every video and instructions say to be extra cautious when screwing these in, as to not strip the threads. They were WAY stripped, and cone shaped as well, like they were never screwed in fully, and wiggled around in there until they killed all the threads at the opening, and fell into the Filter Box where I found them.

So I went down to my Dealership and told them what I had found, and when I go to bring the bike in for my 5K service on Saturday, they will document their findings and open a claim with Harley Davidson. And I was also informed that while the claim is open the Dealership will have to keep the bike until it is resolved.

with all that said, I got the intake installed "Partially" cause it only has 2 bolts holding it in place, not four. I am good with this for now, as the stock air cleaner box had been running the whole time with only the two bolts, and that assembly weighs quite a lot more than the high flow kit I installed.

Just wanted to share my fun times with you guys in hopes that no one else finds this with their 750.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I just installed the K&N today. Went about 3 mile round trip to the PO. My 750 seemed to wake up. Eventually I want to replace the Muffler. To something beefier sounding. But Not obnoxiously loud

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just installed the K&N today. Went about 3 mile round trip to the PO. My 750 seemed to wake up. Eventually I want to replace the Muffler. To something beefier sounding. But Not obnoxiously loud

I would highly recommend the firebrand loose cannon muffler with the optional db killer baffle. sounds great but not obnoxious.

be sure to get the fuel management remapped, with the air kit and the muffler installed.

my dealer told me they would remap mine for $55.

when I get my new vance and hines breather kit, i'll get mine remapped by them until I can afford the fp3.

you think just the air kit woke up your bike?, just wait until you get your free'r flowing muffler and the fuel system remapped, it will run like a scalded ape!>:D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I am Afraid to use that Vance and Hines Open Air Intake kit. Unlike a lot of people I know, I do occasionally ride in the rain. And have gotten caught in Heavy, Could barely see the taillights of the car in front, Storms.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am Afraid to use that Vance and Hines Open Air Intake kit. Unlike a lot of people I know, I do occasionally ride in the rain. And have gotten caught in Heavy, Could barely see the taillights of the car in front, Storms.

I sure wouldn't want water going into my intake either.....

I remember a while back reading a thread here where it comes with a rain sock and works well even in hard rain without a problem.

maybe that member will chime in to verify if this is actually the case.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts