Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to buy this and have a couple questions for your guys that have it. Is anyone using it totally "naked?" Trying to figure out how that little front cover is worth more than half the cost of the filter. Also have you gotten a rain sock for it and if so which brand? Anyone running it inside the stock cover? Does it even fit and if so how much performance do you miss out on?

·
Registered
58 Posts
First off, it will not fit inside the stock air cover, if you are handy with the right tools you could cut the stock cover down to fit like the V&H cover ( I have seen a few people do this) I bought the Aluminum cover for mine, as to not run it "naked".

I also have a rain sock by Outerwears.com they make them to fit the V&H intake. and is a must if you plan on riding in any kind of rainy, foggy, misty type of weather. I have felt first hand how it feels to not have the rain sock on and have my bike all coughing and spitting, basically wanting to die, from sucking water into the intake.

Be sure to purchase the V&H FP3 or some other type of system tuner, you will need to upgrade to a stage 1 tune up when you add a high flow intake to the bike. This is a must. if you dont you could really damage your motor. You could take it into the dealership, as most of them will be able to do this for you, but in my opinion the FP3 is more cost effective.

good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off, it will not fit inside the stock air cover, if you are handy with the right tools you could cut the stock cover down to fit like the V&H cover ( I have seen a few people do this) I bought the Aluminum cover for mine, as to not run it "naked".

I also have a rain sock by Outerwears.com they make them to fit the V&H intake. and is a must if you plan on riding in any kind of rainy, foggy, misty type of weather. I have felt first hand how it feels to not have the rain sock on and have my bike all coughing and spitting, basically wanting to die, from sucking water into the intake.

Be sure to purchase the V&H FP3 or some other type of system tuner, you will need to upgrade to a stage 1 tune up when you add a high flow intake to the bike. This is a must. if you dont you could really damage your motor. You could take it into the dealership, as most of them will be able to do this for you, but in my opinion the FP3 is more cost effective.

good luck

Thanks I already have the FP3 and a TBR exhaust looking to finish off the stage 1.

·
Registered
58 Posts
notice the pics have twin breather pipes for street 500 is this the case is it easy to install?

My 750 only had one breather tube, which actually was the hardest part of the installation, is getting that ruber tube to go into the hole on the backer plate. Was a very easy installation other than dealing with the above mentioned breather tube. just a few bolts. The instructions that come with the in-take are pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the naked intake and it is naked. The install was easy. I don't have the rain sock. I am in NorCal and until this winter, we have not had much rain.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I changed the exhaust and have the FP3 along with the air filter. I did not notice a huge improvement. But the bike (XG500) is more responsive, overall better throttle response. I think these bikes are just fun to ride.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just spray painted the inner part flat black. No way was I paying that much for a cover.
Thanks yes I understand upgrades cost money but its like for the price of that stupid piece can get new pegs or something more aesthetic. Hoping others have done this as well

·
Registered
238 Posts
Personally I just don't care for any of the current intake products on the market right now....they're too plain....I'm looking into getting a custom made adapter to run a big V twin air intake like this....

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
This one is from Free Spirit, over in Europe. But the US dealers want $300.00+...some closer to $500.00

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
installed it was not overly happy with install.. every thing was just a little to tight and felt like a cross treed guess it won't come undone in any rush. even the venture had scuff marks. but I'm guessing the rubber ring will stop any air leaks..
any one else find it tight fitting?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes very much so I had to file the paint around the inside of the backing plate to the throttle body bracket and the holes for the screws/bolts
even then it was a tight fit. Not a bad thing air isn't going to leak but a pain in the @#* just took a while to complete!
I'm happy with it that's all that matters!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts