Harley Davidson Street Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Bandera, Texas
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Every vehicle owner knows that a check engine light is NOT the worst thing that can happen. Can you turn on a dime? Stop when you need to? Equipment and tools can break. Parts that should fit don't fit. The struggle is real. All we can do is roll with the punches. Well, that, and maybe laugh a bit at our misfortune.

What is your most memorable vehicle-related fail?

· Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Bandera, Texas
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not a major fail but several times I've forgotten to put oil drain plug back in and poured several quarts of new oil all over the ground. Anyone else ever done this?

· Registered
96 Posts
This is not major, just that I had everything scattered on the rack, lifted the clutch assembly, the chain, the adjuster block, the compensating sprocket onto the shafts. Slipped out of my hands. As it went down, it caught the pan the starter shaft assembly was on, and tossed that along with other parts on the tray.

Lucky I already installed part of the starter assembly gear cage call it, into the primary case. Loc-tited the clutch and compensator nut.

Cleaned the nuts and thread shafts. I didn't want to go thru all of that just to pull the cage out, that is blocked by the flywheel gear at the clutch housing assembly. I walked away from it and ran things thru my had as I was trying to go to sleep.

Woke up to, 'it looks too easy.' But before that I had a senior moment trying to think why I couldn't catch a thread. Then I remembered, the shaft goes behind the circlip in the cage. No way was I close to catching a thread. Having the starter assembly in the cage before the pan acted the canon and shot all the parts everywhere, it was so easy a loophole to loop.

Same bike, but this was taking the inner primary cover off... Lucky again. I forgot about the ground strap bolt at the bottom of the case, behind the cover. The bad part is I've already pulled this cover off before for a belt to chain swap.

Lucky too the bolt was short and knocked a little chunk of thread off the case. That kind of stuff schools you for next time.

But I don't know if I should walk away from working on bikes due to being a senior and those moments twirling wrenches. I'm making too many mistakes lately.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts