Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
63 years of age, been riding H-D 's since 1974. Some may know me from another forum, I currently ride an '06 VRSCR.

Joined since I'm curious how Harley's Street line of bikes will do.

Doubt I'll ever have one,my "R" model works well enough to suit me. I am interested in seeing how the Street's Revo motor is used in Flat Track racing since I saw an article that H-D will be using it in addition to the "venerable" XR750 motor.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/11/harley-davidson-street-750-flat-track-racing-prototype-information-and-news/

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
It is the reason I like this power plant and chassis.

I take Cycle World too. The article caught my eye as well.

2000 miles on the XG750 so far no problems.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
63 years of age, been riding H-D 's since 1974. Some may know me from another forum, I currently ride an '06 VRSCR.

Joined since I'm curious how Harley's Street line of bikes will do.

Nice ride and welcome aboard. There are several of us "old time" bikers on this forum (as well as newbies to H-D and motorcycles in general) so you're not alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, spread the wisdom!
Not certain I've much wisdom to dispense, most of what I've learned in my 40 odd years of riding ,I learned the "hard way". ;)

Welcome!

What other forums are you part of?
I'm also on 1130cc.com,the V-Rod forum; as are at least 3 others here whose "names" (or style of posting) I recognize.

My other forum memberships are on boards having to do with the different firearms that I own.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Glad to have you here on the forum. Seems like you will be a good addition to the debates that are going on here. I take it that you follow racing? Do you take your bike out to the track ever?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I don't race my V-Rod. One summer in the 1970's several friends & I bracket raced our bikes at the local drag strip but I have no desire to repeat that. My "R" model is used for commuting & transportation while the weather is fit. Once snow falls & salt hits the streets,it's parked .

I had my first exposure to motorcycles as a youth watching local Flat track races that were held at county fairgrounds. An uncle was a member of the Fairboard & got us in free to watch them. Sadly most of the promoters and local clubs no longer host them for several reasons. There are still Grand National Flat track races with professional riders and luckily there is one held every June about 30 miles,(50 K?) from my home. So yes, I do try to attend at least one or two of those races a year.

I've also watched Pro Hill climbs in October held in Oregonia Ohio, search for "Devil's Staircase" on YouTube to see videos of that event.

I'm trying to stay out of some of the debates I've read here.(Biting my tongue so much,I'm down to my chin.) :laugh:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not certain I've much wisdom to dispense, most of what I've learned in my 40 odd years of riding ,I learned the "hard way". ;)

I'm also on 1130cc.com,the V-Rod forum; as are at least 3 others here whose "names" (or style of posting) I recognize.

My other forum memberships are on boards having to do with the different firearms that I own.
Nice! Good to know there are some folks here you're familiar with.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I had my first exposure to motorcycles as a youth watching local Flat track races that were held at county fairgrounds. An uncle was a member of the Fairboard & got us in free to watch them. Sadly most of the promoters and local clubs no longer host them for several reasons. There are still Grand National Flat track races with professional riders and luckily there is one held every June about 30 miles,(50 K?) from my home. So yes, I do try to attend at least one or two of those races a year.

You're old enough to remember the days of Gene Romero, Kenny Roberts, and Jay Springsteen! My older brother was an AMA flat track racer in the late 1960's and very early 1970's. Our "home" track was Ascot Park in Gardena CA that was legendary before finally being shut down. The "Mile" at Sacramento is still a big AMA event but I haven't been there in decades. Too far away from me now.

There was a comeback with "speedway" racing on the 1/4 mile indoors for a while that was televised. This was with 250cc motorcycles and it was very exciting to watch. Just like the "big bikes" they had no brakes (unnecessary for dirt racing on an oval) and I really enjoyed watching them. TV eventually dropped coverage and speedway racing has all but disappeared in most places today just like the flat track racing of old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're old enough to remember the days of Gene Romero, Kenny Roberts, and Jay Springsteen...

Yep, I'm old enough to have seen Springsteen race at my county fair ground's 1/2 mile track when he was still a "Junior" before he got his factory sponsorship !

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts