Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my right front part of my tank has a pretty bad white paint door ding on it. i have tried to wax (magic blue) it off or use detail spray to get it off both to no avail. it looks like a bad piece of mud that'd just come off, but it won't. any tips on how to get rid of it?d of it?

i'd post a pic, but it's night time.

:crying:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, use a polishing compound or Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0. The latter is very fine and may require some persistence, but it will do the least harm to your paint.

A good way to tell if a scratch is just in the clear coat or if it's through the paint is to wet it. If it goes away when wet, it's just in the clear coat. What you are seeing in that case is the light reflecting at a slightly different angle.

Also from Meguiar's ScratchX instructions: "Defects fall into two basic categories: above surface bonded contaminants (industrial fall out, paint overspray, tree sap mist, and bird droppings) and below surface defects (fine scratches, swirl marks, etching, and oxidation). Above surface bonded contaminants often cannot be seen but they can be felt. Run a clean hand over the paint of the vehicle immediately after washing and drying it. Does the paint feel "as smooth as glass"? If the paint surface is rough to the touch, this is an indication to clay the car using Meguiar’s Smooth Surface Clay Kit first. Below surface defects generally cannot be felt, but they can be seen, especially in strong, direct light."

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it is truly just the paint from the car and didn't go through your clear coat, then try using a clay bar. Keep the paint and the clay bar wet at all times. Should do pretty good at removing the white paint. Then use your polishing compound

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm assuming the bike IS NOT in the Black Denim paint

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lunch at work. Quick break. It's stock 500 Street black paint. It wipes away, when cleaning, then shows up again later. I'll google this clay bar. I have a turtle magic paint re-storer marker, but I don't want to scratch the paint trying to make it better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The clay bar will remove and remnants of the other vehicles paint. The buffing compound should remove any light scratches in your clear coat and polishing compound will get rid of the haziness from the clay bar and buffing compound

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts