Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is the American version of the H-D Street not made locally in the States? I know that the European and Asian markets are all supplied from the plant in India. Sad to read that you have bought a bad build, as since 2015 I have only had happy times. Yes the fuel pump was an issue and the brakes are not the best, but I still find it to be the Urban Warrior that it was advertised as.

The USA Street Models are now made in York, PA. While the very first models suffered from a few quality issues (e.g., brakes, wiring, headset bearings) the issues were quickly addressed. Later models have very good fit and finish and are on par with the two 600/650 metric bikes in my garage. I have only read of two engine failures - One was due to massive abuse and the other was due to lack of oil. On the other hand I have read of many riders putting lots of miles on these bikes with no issues at all.

My 2017 XG750A Street Rod has very good fit and finish and is on par with any bike at the same price. I have read of Yamaha FZ/MT bikes suffering from rust issues so these may be even better. While paint is not on par with HD's bigger bikes the Street Models are just fine.

The only complaint I have is that these bikes are a bit heavy and don't have a lot of HD accessories...

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
The brakes for me on the 2915 have never been a real issue. I traded in a Kawasaki KLE500 on the Street 750, legs getting shorter as I get older! The KLE500 also has not the best brakes around, so I was always aware of the braking limitations and ride within the bikes braking abilities.

Wiring was sloppy but has not been an issue with me. However, the real issue I did have was with the headset bearings. I have had to have the headset bearings replaced, at my cost, after riding became hair-raising to say the least. The mechanic showed me the rusted remains that he pulled out, not pretty.

Although my bike did go in for the factory recall on the fuel pump assembly replacement I cannot remember ever falling victim to the "lag and leap" issue that led to the recall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The brakes for me on the 2915 have never been a real issue. I traded in a Kawasaki KLE500 on the Street 750, legs getting shorter as I get older! The KLE500 also has not the best brakes around, so I was always aware of the braking limitations and ride within the bikes braking abilities.

Wiring was sloppy but has not been an issue with me. However, the real issue I did have was with the headset bearings. I have had to have the headset bearings replaced, at my cost, after riding became hair-raising to say the least. The mechanic showed me the rusted remains that he pulled out, not pretty.

Although my bike did go in for the factory recall on the fuel pump assembly replacement I cannot remember ever falling victim to the "lag and leap" issue that led to the recall.

Most all MC headset bearings are susceptible to failure if not properly maintained and often exposed to water, especially from power washers. My wife's 2013 FLS Softail Slim needed new headset bearings due to lack of proper lubing.

Brakes on initial models were awful and there are plenty of reviews that make this problem clear. Some reviewers even called the front brake "dangerous". The rear brake master cylinder reservoir was too close to the exhaust and could also become an issue. All of these early issues were quickly resolved.

Brakes on XG750A Street Rod are very good in my opinion. I never need more than one finger up front and rear needs a good amount of input prior to lockup unlike other bikes.

Moto Guzzi V7 III bikes are similar in price and power and quality is about the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone,

After 2 years commuting in a 125cc scooter, I decided it was time to upgrade in style, so I got a good deal out of an ebay auction and went for a full A licence.
A much happier rider now I must say.

Cheers...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congratulations! It looks like your Street is already modified nicely.

I can't quite see the color on your avatar picture - is it black?

Cheers.

Hi everyone,

After 2 years commuting in a 125cc scooter, I decided it was time to upgrade in style, so I got a good deal out of an ebay auction and went for a full A licence.
A much happier rider now I must say.

Cheers...

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello you guys!I'm green in bike ,wanna know the difference between ZX-25R and HD. By the way, can someone tell me the difference between Benz AMG and GLC, my dad wants to buy

·
Registered
323 Posts
hello you guys!I'm green in bike ,wanna know the difference between ZX-25R and HD. By the way, can someone tell me the difference between Benz AMG and GLC, my dad wants to buy
The Kawasaki Ninja ZX-25R is a sport bike with a 250cc parallel twin engine. Harleys are going to be larger displacement cruiser or standard style motorcycles with larger displacement v-twin engines.

Other than riding on two wheels, just about everything is different between the two. A trip to a couple of motorcycle dealerships or even doing some YouTube searches on types of motorcycles might help you decide which style of motorcycle fits your needs and desires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello from Germany / Stuttgart,
my name is Enrico (Rico) I am 46 years old.
I found this forum by accident and I'm happy that there are more street drivers here than in Germany.
Sorry for my English as I have Google translate.

I have had a motorcycle driver's license since 2005 and from then on I drove a Suzuki LS 650. My dream has always been to ride a Harley Davidson but the prices for an HD motorcycle did not allow this, but my body size also did not fit a large HD.

In 2015 I heard of a small HD by chance and immediately went to my laptop and googled for it. My first impression on the picture and text, YES I want to test it.
I drove to my dealer and let them show me live, I really liked the size, weight and appearance.
I then did a test drive and was VERY satisfied. In March 2017 I bought a NEW HD Street 750 and I am still completely satisfied. I have driven about 4,000 km since then and was not even in the workshop. You have to do service because of guarantee.
I only wanted the 500s but they don't exist in Germany so I could only buy the 750s.

I'm looking forward to reading more from you ...

;)
Greetings Rico

Im Hintergrund: Stuttgart

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Enrico! It sounds like you bought your bike a couple of months after I bought my 2016 that was left over from the previous model year. You sound just like the kind of person H-D was targeting with these bikes. I was also looking for something smaller and less expensive than the other Harleys. I've ridden mine just under 13,000 miles (20,000 kilometers) in that time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello PugslyCat,
I looked at your picture and saw that I really like your street (Velocity red)(y).
I also put pictures of my street online here, did you see them?:geek:
With my Susi (Suzuki) I drove approx. 35000km in 12 years and sold it for 1500 € in 2016.:eek:

I also believe that HD has found the target group, but here in Germany it is not easy to find these people because the market with motorcycles from 400-800ccm is very large.
My motorcycle, as I wanted it, cost € 7,990. I am very happy with the purchase.
When someone asks me what I ride for a motorcycle, I only say "a Harley" the faces are priceless ...

The only downside here is that we can't just rebuild everything we want. The TÜV must always keep an eye on it and then put its stamp on the papers. Even that with the red turn signals at the back is prohibited in Germany.

So I was very happy about your answer and had to answer right away. It is now midnight here and I have to sleep a little. I wish you a great day.?

Greetings Rico ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Marco,
I've already read a lot about the street here.
I'm looking forward to learning more about my street here ...

greeting
Rico

·
Registered
323 Posts
I looked at your picture and saw that I really like your street (Velocity red)(y).
I also put pictures of my street online here, did you see them?:geek:
Thanks for the compliment. Your bike is quite nice as well. Can you tell us what kind of windshield that is? I've been using a simple handlebar mounted windscreen and it just doesn't work as well as I would like. The extension at the top of yours caught my eye. Is that for adjusting the height?
I also believe that HD has found the target group, but here in Germany it is not easy to find these people because the market with motorcycles from 400-800ccm is very large.
That is actually a rather small market in the United States. Approximately 55% of all motorcycles registered here are Harley- Davidson, with the vast majority of those being 1200cc or larger. Even for a lot of the imported brands sell their fair share of large v-twin cruisers. This isn't to say there aren't a lot of sport bikes with parallel twin engines in the 300cc or 650cc sizes, but even those tend to be 1000cc bikes.

These bikes seem to have sold better outside the United States than they have here. Last year there was a brake recall on the 2016 and later Streets and Street Rods. Of the 42,000 bikes recalled, only 12,000 of them were in the United States. So from 2016 through 2018 over 70% of them were sold overseas. That probably makes it the only model of H-D to sell more units overseas than domestically.

The Streets don't sit well with what I always call the "Harley faithful". These are the riders that don't think you can make it past the city limit sign with an engine smaller than 103 cubic inches (~1700cc). For some reason they can't comprehend why anybody would want anything smaller and are personally insulted that H-D should cater to a crowd other than them. Sorry dudes, but H-D already owns the big twin cruiser bike market in the United States, which for big twin cruisers is the entire world. Therefore if the company is to expand into other markets they need to make other kinds of bikes. The V-Rod was a first attempt at that followed by the Street series of bikes. To that end, H-D probably did OK with these models. They just didn't make many fans of these bikes amongst their existing customer base and dealers.

This being my first bike, I like my Street 750. It's just big enough to do what I need to do with it without being more power than I can control. As a smaller bike some of the accessories are much less expensive than similar parts for larger bikes. Even my second bike, as Sportster 1200 Custom, costs a lot more for some of the parts just because they are larger.
When someone asks me what I ride for a motorcycle, I only say "a Harley" the faces are priceless ...
Understood. My stock response is "A couple of small Harleys". Of course, sometimes that backfires. I had a hair stylist respond with "Yea, me too. I inherited my late mom's Dyna."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Paul,
I bought the windshield in 2016. I had it for my LS650 and since it is very very good I built it on my Street 750. I'll take better pictures tomorrow and send them to you. You can only adjust the extension in height, but as I said, I am very happy with it. In the link you will find exact dates:

( V-Flow Vario-Touring Scheibe C ohne Anbausatz getönt | MRA V-Flow Vario-Touring Scheibe C ohne Anbausatz getönt - Scheiben - Verkleidung & Scheiben - Umbau & Styling - Technik & Zubehör )

If you can not find it with you or if you have problems with the order (if you want to buy it), just get in touch and I will see from here what I can do. But only if you want to.

Yes, I also had to take my Street 750 to the workshop because of the brakes. I had to wait a long time because the spare parts were not available (2.5 months). HD couldn't keep up with the production of the parts.

I am very satisfied with my HD and I just hope that HD does not wear off with its service. I am thinking of buying another one (HD Super Low 1200 t) but only because it has a lot of crome and is very deep (I myself am 1.65m tall). The 1200cc engine is not important to me. I did a short test drive, but I have to do it again because this test drive was not very long. It also has only 68PS which is very good in my eyes, my brother drives a Kawasaki ZX10R with 180PS which I also drove sometimes but only 5 minutes, sorry that is MUCH too fast for me.

But you can also say who has a Harley has money. Because everyone here knows that HD is not cheap and has a good reputation.

Regards Rico

·
Registered
323 Posts
I found the same windshield at Revzilla, one of the big online motorcycle parts and accessory dealers in the United State. Purchasing one should not be a problem should I decide to go that route. I'm thinking of getting the Memphis Shades batwing fairing, but those are more expensive and I may wind up having to buy multiple windshields if I initially choose the wrong size.

The HD Super Low 1200t is very similar to my other bike, a Sportster 1200 Custom. Lots of chrome, a low seat height, and forward mounted foot controls. Harleys NEED chrome. I don't understand the blacked out look.

The point I was trying to make with the brake recall numbers was that fewer than 30% of the bikes impacted by it were sold in the United States.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took a look at the page, they really have a lot of parts to choose from. I got this (item: P305352 item number: 1038705) disc on my street and had paid around $ 97 (€ 90), as I wrote before, I'm very satisfied with it.

Batwing fairings cost a lot of money and whether it looks good too? But whether it gets approved here in Germany is another question. I just looked and read again that the article cannot be shipped to Germany:eek::oops:

I also don't know why HD only sold the street in black, I think in chrome it would also look good or ???

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, one of the things that makes a bike a Harley, in my mind, is lots of chrome. I suspect that the Street series of bikes has not sold in sufficient numbers for H-D to justify a chrome model. They have always had chromed accessories such as engine guards, luggage racks and handle bars, but I always figured those looked odd on a blacked out bike.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts