Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm hot natured anyway, but this south Louisiana/texas heat gets unbearable with jackets gloves full face helmets.

I stay with in the law wearing a helmet.
but I rarely ride on the freeway.

most of the time, I wear jeans, t shirt, boots and open face helmet with dual shields.

if I hop on my ST and hit the interstate for a long trip then i'll wear more gear that's armored and gloves, especially if it's cold weather, but that's another story.

·
Registered
150 Posts
With the warm weather coming, I thought I'd give this thread a bump. One thing I didn't catch in the thread is the recommendation of a cooling vest under the jacket. It's seriously like air conditioning. A definite must for those in the warmer climates.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I always wear jeans and boots everytime I get on the bike, but I also have an armored mesh jacket made by Joe Rocket. I wear it when I travel outside of town, and it has a removable water barrier that works great in the cold. If I am going out of town I wear a full face helmet, in town I have a 3/4 helmet that has a drop down sun visor and looks like a fighter pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've been riding on & off for 37 years now. I've had plenty of opportunity to encounter fine silt on the road, oil slicks on the road, bad drivers on the road, I've taken slides on all sorts of pavement at all sorts of speed. It happens, the more you ride, sooner or later you're going to encounter one of these scenarios.

With that said, I'm ATGATT. Always. ALL the gear, all the time. I've had road rash, I'm not getting that again.

I ride in South Texas, where the heat and humidity are not only unbearable, they're absolutely astonishing. I run a full-face Icon Airmada helmet, which blows a huge amount of airflow over you, and an armored leather jacket at all times (summer jacket is an AGV Breeze, it's decently ventilated), leather gloves with palm sliders, and kevlar-lined pants with Bohn armor shorts on under them, and leather biker boots. Always. If it's too hot to wear this, then it's too hot to ride -- switch to a car at that point.

At freeway speeds, up to about 85-90 degrees, it's acceptable. In stop-and-go traffic, it's unbearable. I picked up a phase-change cooling vest to see if that can help extend the riding season a bit longer. But I'm not going to compromise on ATGATT, even in Houston weather.

Sandals? Flip-flops? T-shirts? Never. Jeans? Jeans are no protection whatsoever, by the way. If it's not kevlar or leather sliding on the road, it's your skin.

I don't want to be all "hey you kids, get off my lawn" here but - look, sooner or later you're going down. If you ride, someday you're gonna slide. The law of averages will catch up with you. It may be at 40mph, it may be at 5mph, but it's going to happen. And if you're running around in jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops and an open-face helmet (or, worse, no helmet at all!) then the consequences of going down could very well last the rest of your life (even if the rest of your life is very, very short). It ain't worth it. Gear up.

(now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go yell at some kids on my lawn).

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Doorag, shooter shirt, jeans, boots, sun screen.

I don't want to remember the accident!

36 years riding not one medical bill... Not that the asssholes haven't tried. If I want to be sure I would sell it and stay in the truck!

·
Registered
491 Posts
It doesn't get too hot here in SE Wisconsin. I wear a leather jacket and gloves for the most part and rider boots. I need to get some pants, socks and underwear specifically for when I ride to the Thursday Nite Museum rally or when I go on those long poker runs. Any suggestions along with vendor info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The mesh jackets are great. It keeps the sun off of your skin. Then has a very nice airflow over your skin. My only regret with my mesh jacket is that I did not purchase one sooner.
This! ^ just got the Harley Men's Bar & Shield Logo Mesh Jacket from boardtracker online. Best $88 I've spent, especially considering the Harley dealers in Korea were wanting $220 for it.

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com/product/98233-13VM?mobileback=Products^/category|Previous^/category/34327528|Previous^/category/34327534|Previous^/category/34327588|Previous^/category/34327698

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
21 Posts
It's time for me to get a new mesh jacket. I've had a Bilt mesh jacket for years and it's about wore out. This is an older thread and I know there have been many updates recently to the jacket market. What are you wearing? Pros and cons. Recommendations? Ones to stay away from?

·
21 Posts
Picked up a new mesh jacket this weekend. It's another Bilt, on sale, hard to pass up. Decided on gray for better visibility and should be cooler than black.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The previous version of the Bilt mesh jacket, the one with the backwards zipper, is what I wear. It only came in black, and the new one only comes in black for fat guy sizes like I need. On hot days I'll douse my shirt with water for the evaporative cooling. Sometimes I'll put frozen or just cold water bottles inside the jacket.

Until last year I had Joe Rocket Ballistic pants for long trips, because what guy doesn't want ballistic pants. I also had a pair of mesh pants that also may have been Joe Rocket, but both were lost when the house flooded last spring. For now I just wear the same twill pants I wear to the office. That was good enough protection for a low speed wipe out in fresh gravel last August, much to my surprise. Again, being a fat guy there aren't a lot of options, but I definitely don't wear shorts.

Having outrageously short and wide feet means that none of the riding boots or shoes fit, so various hiking and work boots have to do. A pair of cheap boots last about a season and then it's time to replace them. The shifter seems to be pretty hard on the left boot, which purpose built riding boots are probably made for.

The same HJC modular helmets see use all year. It's just a matter of opening more vents or the face shield a crack to let in more air. I'm tempted to use goggles instead of the visor, but one thing I won't do is give up the chin protection of a full face helmet.

During the summer I wear perforated leather gloves with armored knuckles.

·
21 Posts
@PugslyCat, we follow simular paths with gear. But I do use a HJC (IS33) open face during the summer, modulator in spring /fall and full face in winter. . I also have mesh pants, but don't usually use them on work commutes, but do on out of town trips. Black dickies slacks is dress code at work. Boots on every ride. Perforated gloves also in summer. Houston definitely has hot and humid weather so trying to stay cool is important.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It was a guy from Houston that put me onto dousing my shirt with water underneath the mesh jacket for summer rides. Days in the nineties are not at all unusual for Iowa summers and it tends to be very humid. All of the crops in the fields act as giant humidifiers.

I've got daily commute of twenty miles each way, but have been making half a dozen four hundred mile trips each year. Those long trips were the ones I wanted the riding pants for. I bought the pants in the fall of 2018 and then they were ruined in spring 2019 flooding. One thing I noticed in the reviews of the mesh pants was that "Don't wear bright colored underwear" came up a lot.

Check out the Icon Statistic helmet, not necessarily to buy one but for the information. The graphics divide the helmet into zones, each labeled with the percentage of accidents in which that part of the helmet is likely to hit the pavement. Apparently in a crash you are going to literally take it on the chin about 20% of the time. That's why I want the chin protection my modular helmet provides.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts