Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tires are pushing 5 years old and honestly the scorchers suck. I'm not a fan of my motorcycle tires being more than 4 years old. Wondering what everyone else has gotten for replacement tires and how those tires are faring. I am leaning towards the Bridgestone Battlax T32 tires myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So my tires are pushing 5 years old and honestly the scorchers suck. I'm not a fan of my motorcycle tires being more than 4 years old. Wondering what everyone else has gotten for replacement tires and how those tires are faring. I am leaning towards the Bridgestone Battlax T32 tires myself.
Before switching to the 19" front, I ran a combination of Shinkos:

Front: 120/70-17, Shinko 016 Verge 2x
Rear: 160/80-15 , Shinko 777

Those worked great for me, I now run the 777's on both and couldn't be happier.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Harley-Davidson Street 750 in Sunglo Velocity Red
614 Posts
My Street 750 has done OK with the stock Michelin Scorchers, but my rides are pretty much all straight lines on dry roads. I'm also kind of locked into what my dealer provides on a "free tires for life" program.

Online review seem to be saying the Shinko 777 has grippy rubber at a very good price. The down side is that they wear faster than some other brands. That's the trade off. Using softer rubber for better grip means the tread wears away sooner. That may not be a problem since @Sarge2481 is replacing tires on time rather than mileage.

A quick look for reviews of the Bridgestone Battlax T32 seem to be kind of scarce, but that's a model that was only introduced last year. People seem to like it on sport tourers and other high performance bikes. One reviewer really liked them and noted he was getting 2,500-3,000 "spirited" miles from his rear tires.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the tires my size are basically sport touring or supersport as my street rod has front size 120/70ZR17 and rear size 160/60ZR17. I had the Battlax T30 evo on my old ninja 650r years ago and loved them, and apparently the T31 was better than the T30, and the T32 is supposed to be even better than the T31 (would make sense right?), and seeing as the T32 was just released January 2021 old stock would be nonexistent.

I have used shinko tires in the past, and while very grippy, mileage was nonexistent. I want something more along the lines of like 60% grip and 40% longevity, I'd rate the Scorcher 21s like 20% grip and 80% longevity, and shinkos 80% grip and 20% longevity based on my experience. My local dealer had a deal right now where if I buy tires from them the install cost is a penny, but thats still probably in the $400-$500 range, and the only thing they have for my bike is the scorcher 21s.

Basically if I can get 6-8k miles from a set I'd be happy, as that is what I generally put on the bike in 2 years or so. Age of tires is important to me since the climate in Florida is brutal on rubber products, so for motorcycle tires I tend to change them every 2-3 years and tires for my truck I tend to change every 5-6 years due to dryrot. I know on my ninja 650r I got about 6500 miles from the T30 evos, and I was way more aggressive on that bike vs my street rod which Is why I am looking at their successor.

Bridgestone also has a rebate right now on alot of their tires, and the Battlax T32s are $25 per tire, so I can basically get the set for $250 and get a $50 rebate, and at most have them installed at the dealer for $70 (price for mount and balance if I bring them the wheels off of the bike), possibly cheaper elsewhere but I use the dealer cost as a baseline of my max cost.

I just wasn't sure if any other street rod owners have strayed from the path of scorchers, I saw plenty of posts about the street 500s and 750s, but can't really find anything as far as what people have put on their street rods.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running Dunlop Elite 4's on my 07 EGC. Very satisfied
The elite 4 is not made in my sizes, it's a touring tire for the touring models. Dunlop tires in my size would be like the road smart, roadsport, and q3. Q3 is super grippy but get no mileage, the road smart has crap grip and mileage, they were OEM on my old ninja 650, and haven't tried the roadsport but from reviews they are a little less grippy than the q3 and get slightly more mileage, so still not really what I am looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The elite 4 is not made in my sizes, it's a touring tire for the touring models. Dunlop tires in my size would be like the road smart, roadsport, and q3. Q3 is super grippy but get no mileage, the road smart has crap grip and mileage, they were OEM on my old ninja 650, and haven't tried the roadsport but from reviews they are a little less grippy than the q3 and get slightly more mileage, so still not really what I am looking for.

One of buddy's is running these Continentals.

Continental Motion-Sport Touring Tires - 02550310000

Another is running Pirelli diablos. One bike is a softail the other is 1200 sportster.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend has had pirelli diablos in the past, grip was good but he would always wear out the rear by 4k miles. Same friend had continentals on his bike when he bought it, not sure what line of continentals, but he hated them as they wore quickly and had no wet traction.

I decided to order a set of Bridgestone Battlax T32 tires, I figure in the worst case the grip can't be worse than the scorchers, and even if I only get like 5k miles from them the sale price I got them at makes it so I won't be too butthurt about it. Hopefully in the meantime some other street rod riders can put some input in on tires they have swapped to.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got the Bridgestone Battlax T32 tires in today, already pulled the wheels off the bike, dropped them off with the tires to the bike shop down the road, and will pick them up tomorrow after work and put the bike back together. Comparing how the tread feels, the scorchers are hard as a rock compared to the T32 while the T32 feels softer on the edges yet pretty firm in the center. Will find out this weekend how they fare when I go to scrub them in.

·
Administrator
"Loose Nut" from Houston, Texas
376 Posts
Definitely a more agressive thread pattern. After a few hundred miles give us an update on ride. That tread reminds me of the Micholin Commander tires I run.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up my wheels on my way home from work today, got them put back on the bike, somehow got the palm of my hand pinched between a dead blow hammer and a hard place. Took it for a quick trip up the road to fuel her up and first thing I noticed is the bike really leans in much easier now, more like a sportbike. I'll be really scrubbing them in this weekend but it even feels a bit smoother over bumps and ripples in the road, not to mention I think they even look better than the OEM scorchers. I'll put a couple hundred miles on them and see how they go.

·
Registered
2017 Street Rod 750
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I put about 130 miles on this weekend, all I have to say is holy crap what a difference. Had the tires scrubbed in at about 60 miles, then I really got on it. Main things I've noticed right off the bat are they feel smoother, lean in is much easier and nicer, grip is phenomenal, and I'm almost certain these tire have a lot less rolling resistance than the scorchers. I was ripping this thing like I was on a sportbike again, killing it on some twisties.

I'm curious to see if I will get any better fuel mileage if these tires have noticeably less rolling resistance. I could hold in the clutch and the bike would barely begin to slow, whereas with the scorchers I was slowing fairly quickly, which I just figured was my body acting like a parachute. Obviously I can't say too much for longevity at the moment, but if I get 5-6k miles from them I won't be butthurt if they keep up this performance the whole time. Even after running it hard the little injection mold knobs are still hanging on, whereas usually I wear them off in like the first 50 miles, so hopefully thats a sign of good tread life to come, but we will wait and see.

So my initial rating of the Bridgestone Battlax T32 Sport Touring tire would have to be 10/10 for dry performance/grip, 8/10 for price (I got mine on sale so in my case it's a 10/10, but the non sale price is pretty up there yet not nearly as high as the scorchers), and currently no rating for wet performance and longevity, but those will come eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts