Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not into giving the dealer 40 bucks and waiting 2 weeks to get a key cut. Does anybody know where you can get a blank?
thagorilla

·
Registered
504 Posts
Any professional locksmith should have the blanks available, and be able to cut you one.

I lost a key to my C50T Boulevard and the dealer wanted a fortune to replace it. Went to the locksmiths, with the other original key I had, and he picked a blank off the rack and cut me a new one for about $2.00! He even knew that the same key worked for the fuel cap as for the ignition, but needed to be cut slightly different. Even told me to go out and check it on the bike in both the ignition AND fuel cap before I left!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that and they didnt have the blank. I was hoping to have a locksmith make it as you have described but my longtime guy is at a loss for the blank. he has thousands of blanks.
thagorilla

Reactions: 10-64

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another locksmith in another city used a bmw key and made one that works ok although the key is a little skint on the square part before the fluting starts on the key. Cost $3.25 and about 15 minutes whilst she decided which one that was close to try. She told me that the blank that was required has not been released to non oems, so if you get a key that works its not necessarily the correct blank but it will work.
thagorilla

Reactions: 10-64

·
Registered
504 Posts
$40.00 at the dealer .................$3.25 at the lock smith. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I aimost got a woody on that $3.25. I mean its just a friggin key not an integral part of the space shuttle or something. I hate feeling like I got to go 3rd party on everything but sometimes its just too evident how hard they're trying to put it to ya. I been getting keys made for years and its one of the things that seem reasonable. If they had said 10 bucks I would have oked it.
thagorilla

Reactions: 10-64 and JONBERG

·
Registered
451 Posts
Get a hold of Solo750 he went through this with the one he purchased at auction and has experience with dealing with getting a key made.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Found 2 for $12,99 Prime free ship on Amzn. Looked legit....

·
Super Moderator
361 Posts
This doesn't really answer the OP's question, but I've found that Menard's, my local big box home center, has a machine in the door lock department that does a laser scan of keys and can replicate common ones on the spot. I stuck my Sportster key in, but it was going to be about $40 and a 2 week wait to get the key mailed to me. It's one solution to getting a new key, but I'm not saying it's the best.

·
Super Moderator
361 Posts
Bringing your own blanks is likely to go over better at a locksmith or local hardware than the Harley dealer. I'm thinking that would likely wind up costing very nearly as much as just buying the key from the dealer in the first place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts