Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some suggestions of which brand and viscosity oil you have in your HD street.

getting ready to do an oil and filter change and currently I'm considering going with Amsoil 20-50w

thanks...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I did look in the manual, it suggested 20-50w as the first choice.

I seen two "motorcycle" oil brands at walmart, one known brand and the other looks like a generic, both at $8 /qt

guess i'll order amsoil online and have it delivered.
there isn't anyone around here that sells it locally.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have used the Valvoline Synthetic 10/40 in the 2010 Yamaha Majesty. Traded it with Over 14k Miles. The engine is like new. While I was in there, I changed to a Magnetic Drain Plug. Which never seemed to have any metal on it. My Oil Filter choice is K&N. HiFlo is probably a good alternative. As it has a TUV certification. I've used their(HiFlo) air filters. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered 4 qts of Amsoil 20-50w Full synthetic motorcycle oil.

cost $13 qt plus shipping :eek: claims it is good for 25k miles but I'd never even come close to going that far between oil changes.

after reading Amsoil's claimed facts about the differences in full synthetic oils, I was convinced this was my best choice for my "Lil V-Rod" :)

the best full synthetic oils are made using group IV oils, most manufacturers they claim only use a small percentage of group iv oils in making their full synthetics.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am a MOBIL 1 fan personally, but by son is a MOTUL dealer.......decisions , decisions......

If I had my choice however, i'd run Castrol R30 , with a little bit in the fuel for "good measure"

Ray

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I used mobil 1 for years in most of my vehicles

I know regular engine oil is ok, and in some opinions full synthetic is a waste of money.

I knew a guy on the ST forum that used regular oil and changed it every 10k miles, and has way over 100,000 miles on his bike.

I just cant do that to my vehicles, even using full synthetic.

after reading the reasons why Amsoil explains the difference in their product and most all others, I decided to go with that brand again.
about 3 or 4 bikes back I only used Amsoil. I did notice a quiter and smoother engine and shifting on that bike after Amsoil was put in it.

anyway, i'll see when I get my order in and get it changed to see if I can tell any difference on this bike.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the 1,000 mile oil change today, using the Amsoil 20-50w full synthetic I bought the other day online.

one thing I did notice when I took the drain plug out. there was some sludge caked on the top of the plug. :confused:

I also noticed that the oil that drained out was pretty black, especially for only 1k miles on it.

on other bikes/vehicles, if I couldn't see/read the marks or letters on the (metal) dipstick, I'd change the oil and filter....done this for years. same with bikes that have sight glasses to check oil level, if it looks dirty, then I'd change it no matter if it had the suggested miles on it or not.

anyway, I do believe the shifting is smoother now and the engine noise is less after this oil change.

I kinda wished now i'da changed it sooner....like at 200-300 miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did the 1,000 mile oil change today, using the Amsoil 20-50w full synthetic I bought the other day online.

one thing I did notice when I took the drain plug out. there was some sludge caked on the top of the plug. :confused:

I also noticed that the oil that drained out was pretty black, especially for only 1k miles on it.

on other bikes/vehicles, if I couldn't see/read the marks or letters on the (metal) dipstick, I'd change the oil and filter....done this for years. same with bikes that have sight glasses to check oil level, if it looks dirty, then I'd change it no matter if it had the suggested miles on it or not.

anyway, I do believe the shifting is smoother now and the engine noise is less after this oil change.

I kinda wished now i'da changed it sooner....like at 200-300 miles.

That's not sludge, that's metal from the wear in.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rock, How much Oil did yours take? Mine took almost 3 Qts. with filter.

after draining the engine of oil and removing the oil filter, I allowed it to drip until it totally stopped, took about an hour. (engine was hot)

after putting on the new oil filter, I then filled the crankcase per the manual, 3.4 qts.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Rock270, changed the oil in my 750 at 800 miles, went with Amsoil V-Twin 20-50w. Wow, what a difference in the sound of engine and trans; and the shifting was much smoother than with the old oil. I'm sold on synthetic oil and with Amsoil, definitely worth the extra money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts