Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Fuelpak FP3, and I have a battery tender with a USB adapter sitting under the seat. So now I'm trying to figure out how to route a USB charging table from the battery tender, up to the handlebars. It seems like the only reasonable, invisible path would be to follow the frame up under the gas tank.

Has anyone else done this? How do you remove the tank with the least amount of opportunity for calamity? Or is there a more reasonable way to get a charging cable up there for the phone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'll be following this closely too ......................... I have the Battery tender USB adapter and also want to power my phone from it, however, mine is not "under the seat" but zip tied to the frame, at the side of the seat.

I figure I'll run a USB extension cord along the frame, up to the RAM Mount on the handle bars, and if at any time I need to use the Battery Tender to maintain the bike when parked for awhile, I'll just unplug the USB adapter, and plug in the Tender.

Can't be too difficult??

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did this. Remove the seat and the rear tank bolt. I slid a straightened wire from the rear of the tank to the front of the tank. The wire followed the frame. There is plenty of room for a USB cable.

I taped the USB cable to the wire and pulled it up to the handle bars.

Took a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I definitely need to run the wire under the tank and leave it. The only thing I did different was I put a battery tender splitter on the battery tender and have the usb adapter plugged into one while leaving the other exposed to plug in to the tender. My battery tender still gives the correct status lights showing the battery as charged or charging.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did this. Remove the seat and the rear tank bolt. I slid a straightened wire from the rear of the tank to the front of the tank. The wire followed the frame. There is plenty of room for a USB cable.

I taped the USB cable to the wire and pulled it up to the handle bars.

Took a couple of minutes.
Brilliant! Thanks for answering, that sounds like an excellent and simple way to do it. I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wiring completed. jgencinc was exactly right, it's a totally trivial task. Use the proper-sized metric allen wrench and remove the rear tank bolt. Lift the tank up a little, and you can easily send a straightened coat hanger through the wiring channel; tape the front of your USB cable to the back of the coat hanger and pull it right on through. Took no time, and worked excellently. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts