Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the road when the guy in front of me stopped quickly. I grabbed the brakes and gave a little too much to the rear, locked her up and she hit the back of the car sending me over the handlebars, and his trunk/rear quarter. The amount of damage on my bike vs. his car is a bit crazy to me, but I've never been in a wreck on my bike before, so maybe it's typical? I'm a bit sore, the guy was alright. Didn't seem pissed or angry or anything. Might have helped I was up and on my feet asking him if he was alright before he ever got out of his door. haha

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Charles .......... glad to hear you're OK, sore, but OK. This could have been worse.

From what I see from the pictures, and what I know, I'd think your insurance company will write the bike off. Looking at the damage to the front, the forks bent back, plus other damage I doubt they would fix it. You're right back into the radiator too. Here in Ontario I've seen bikes with less damage written off.

Hope there weren't charges laid for following to close, or anything else.

Just glad to hear you're OK, this close to the Holidays, and nothing got broken! Bikes can always be replaced, loved ones can't.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Back on Sep 16 2012 I had the front wheel lock on a 2010 Yamaha Majesty. Fortunately I didn't hit anyone. Just broke my L Clavicle. And did less damage to that bike. As most of it was just Plastic. You bent the Fork Tubes. How fast were you going?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going 35-40mph before I locked the brakes up. I also had a car and half length wise between us, so by law, I was allowing plenty of room, but the few seconds it took me to realize he was completely stopping and not just slowing down cost me. No ticket was issued. In the future, I will be sure to widen the gap. It didn't just bend the forks, the split open. That is fork oil you see all over his car and the street. I imagine it will be written off as well, which has me worried about what I'll do for transportation after the fact.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I Almost had one worse than that 2 or 3 Saturdays ago. On the Interstate. Traveling about 65 Mph. I was in the right lane. Everyone in that lane suddenly slowed down to about 30. Another rider who passed me in the left lane cut over to an off ramp. Almost caused a several car pile up. Came Close to rear ending the guy in front of me. As I was trying not to lock the brakes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good to read you are Ok. The thing that caught my attention was your comment on split forks. I would have thought the tubes may have bent, not bent and split.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Glad to know you are okay buddy. Safe riding in future and yes, what happened to you highlights the need for ABS brakes. In India HD is offering to give you these brakes at a cost of 1000 dollars. The 2016 model has these upgraded brakes and the petition is doing the rounds here as well. Hope they come to their senses and ask us to pay a more reasonable price for better brakes. It is a major safety issue.

·
Registered
504 Posts
In the US, maybe the NTSB is the route to go, to get a recall.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
OH man. Wow, so sorry to see the damages and so glad you're ok. And hope transportation works out for you. Dang the bike looks like it was made to crumple in front.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Unless the brakes actually failed they are fine, like any vehicle they take getting used to their limitations, yes the 16's have biggers discs and firmer pedal and lever however if your not careful you can lock those up faster than the 15's, with that said glad your ok as long as the frame is intact they probably wont total it, I just wrote an estimate for a 500 and that one will probably be totaled as the frame was damaged where the shifter/jiffy stand bolts on as well as other areas surprisingly frame is $1500 usd which seems cheap but it costs 9 hours labor to do the swap.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unless the brakes actually failed they are fine, like any vehicle they take getting used to their limitations, yes the 16's have biggers discs and firmer pedal and lever however if your not careful you can lock those up faster than the 15's, with that said glad your ok as long as the frame is intact they probably wont total it, I just wrote an estimate for a 500 and that one will probably be totaled as the frame was damaged where the shifter/jiffy stand bolts on as well as other areas surprisingly frame is $1500 usd which seems cheap but it costs 9 hours labor to do the swap.
I never blamed the brakes, if you read through I said I grabbed to much brake, locking it up. I've been riding for about 9 years and not one of the bikes I've owned has had abs. I don't feel they are a necessary item. I'm still waiting through the song and dance to find out if it is repairable out going to be totaled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts