Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, having some issues that some of you spanner monkeys may be able to help with.

My girls XG750A 2017 model bought new in early 2018 with 2200 miles on it, has a speedometer failure, ie no dash lights or speedo.

Started off as intermittent.

Then it wouldn't work until the engine had been started.

Now no power at all ie no neutral light, fuel light, indicator light on the dash, nothing and no speedometer

Current state:
No Dash lights on turning on ignition and no speedo - Head lights and all other lights and indicators work.

Bike will start but only if the side stand is up and of course clutch in and in neutral - Note as soon as side stand goes down engine cuts, it will still turn over on pressing start but won't fire again until side stand is up.

What Ive done so far;

Checked fuses and Relays all ok.

Checked voltage on connector block to Speedometer and got voltage 12.4 coming from 2 if i remember right and lower voltage coming on others.

Removed fuel tank (Pain in the ass) looked for any marks rubs on the wiring harness (none seen)

So anyone got any ideas, its over £230 for a new speedometer so don't want to throw money at it if its not the speedometer thats wrong

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
120 Posts
That's a lot of systems you are experiencing issues with. The one common thing is ground. I would check every ground connection I could find. Take the ground connections off, clean, then put back. Corrosion is know to form between the cable itself and point of frame connections. Here's copy of wiring diagram. Good luck and keep us informed on what you find.

Page one of 3:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a lot of systems you are experiencing issues with. The one common thing is ground. I would check every ground connection I could find. Take the ground connections off, clean, then put back. Corrosion is know to form between the cable itself and point of frame connections. Here's copy of wiring diagram. Good luck and keep us informed on what you find.

Page one of 3:

i just checked the speed sensor tonight it’s ok, I will check the grounds tomorrow

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi for what it's worth,

You say -
Bike will start but only if the side stand is up and of course clutch in and in neutral - Note as soon as side stand goes down engine cuts, it will still turn over on pressing start but won't fire again until side stand is up. This I believe is perfectly normal, the bike is not supposed to run with the stand down? It may be happening in neutral at the moment as there is no power to the neutral indicator light at present so for the moment I would forget this as it's not a problem unless it persists after the speedo issue is resolved.

I take it you may not have a multi tester ? Positive wire to the battery and negative to earth on the speedo would prove the issue?
If not as to the speedo problem, clearly as Lesblank has suggeted there is an earthing problem - if there was a problem with the positive power supply not all of the items in the speedo would fail - only those fed off that positive wire.
Before you really go to town on it run a negative wire from the battery or a good spot on the frame to the speedo. Everything should then work proving that there is an earthing issue.

Again, as suggested previously, would like to know where the problem is as it could affect others. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked all the fuses, not sure how to run a negative wire to the speedo without breaking the insulation outer plastic on the negative loom wire which feeds into the connector block.

could I use a needle in to that wire instead of stripping it and see what happens?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked continuity between the wires ground wire on the Speedometer plug and the ground on the bike and its good so thats ruled out, beginning to think i need a new speedometer.... poor quality when something like this goes in the first two years of having a new bike...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Does seem a weird thing to happen - I would look for a 2nd hand one as new ones are very expensive

·
Super Moderator
401 Posts
Bike will start but only if the side stand is up and of course clutch in and in neutral - Note as soon as side stand goes down engine cuts, it will still turn over on pressing start but won't fire again until side stand is up. This I believe is perfectly normal, the bike is not supposed to run with the stand down?
I think a kick stand switch got added to all Street models in 2017 along with the tach. I've got a 2016 so don't know how it would handle. I was watching a salesman have trouble with it on a Street Rod a few months ago.

believe a lot of kick stand switches allow you to run the engine with the bike in neutral. It's when you are in motion with the kick stand down that things get ugly. Running the bike in neutral on the side stand is a common practice on cold mornings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s kept dry inside, so spoke to a custom bike shop and explained everything I had done so far and they said I had done everything they would have done and they think it must be the speedometer that’s gone.... pretty bad on 2 year old bike but what can you do, it’s my girls bike I was gonna trade my raider in for a Harley but after this not so sure anymore

1 - 11 of 11 Posts