Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Holy cow guys! So I hadn't gotten around to replacing the bolts that came with my sidecar's universal mount kit yet.. And today I was realigning the sidecar to work with the new ride height the new tire and new air shock had set it at. As I was tightening the bolts on the struts back down, POP, this one let go.. And look at that! A GIANT freaking inclusion in the steel! Off to the hardware store I go, going to get some proper bolts. But geeze! Might as well have had aluminum bolts!

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good thing you discovered that while wrenching on it. The weather here changed drastically the last couple of days with gusty winds. Waiting for it to pass.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I would replace every nut, bolt and fastener on that rig. Remove the frame paint and inspect every weld.

Leaving Thursday morning for a ride to TN. I was hoping for warmer weather , but freezing of not I am going.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Forgot to link my latest video. :) Man my gas mileage has gone to crap with this sidecar on there.. Like closing in on 30mpg!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Air shocks for motorcycles should be filled with a hand pump and only to ma pressure recommend. They generally do not work well on sidecars. The load on them is not enough for them to function as designed.
Air shocks are not for adjust ride height, air bags yes.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I happen to see this 2015 XG750 on FB from Sweet Sidecar in Florida. Posted pics here for your viewing pleasure. Different tub and hardware setup.

https://imgur.com/a/ZmUIbrw

This makes four 2015 XG750's with sidecars that I know of in the USA. All we need now is one in red...lol

·
Registered
496 Posts
What is the reason for the sidecar to be on the right hand side of the bike?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #191 (Edited)
I happen to see this 2015 XG750 on FB from Sweet Sidecar in Florida. Posted pics here for your viewing pleasure. Different tub and hardware setup.

https://imgur.com/a/ZmUIbrw

This makes four 2015 XG750's with sidecars that I know of in the USA. All we need now is one in red...lol

Nice set up . They mounted it farther out. The sidecar wheel appears to be a motorcycle wheel with hub trimmed off . The Velorex has more room but that rig looks good

The sidecar goes on the right In USA. The countries that drive on the left side of the road put it on the left Sidecar should be on curb side .

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
I had dreams of build one with a sidecar on both right and left side. The I realized it would just be a strange looking Trike.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Smitty that only comes with foresight. Looks great and practical.

While it cools down in your part of the world, over here in the lower end, it is shorts only and a cloth to wipe your sweaty brow.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Smitty that only comes with foresight. Looks great and practical.

While it cools down in your part of the world, over here in the lower end, it is shorts only and a cloth to wipe your sweaty brow.

I like having a trailer around for the bikes and ATV's. Also people we know from out of town come this way to visit Milwaukee HD museum . The trailer is always ready if they need help. I also have no real use for pick up trucks and the trail allows me to pick up stuff I may need. With this one , I wanted one that could haul the big rig or a trike also. I am still looking for the right tool box to go in front of the bikes. Moved the right fender out 1 inch for more clearance . 2 or 3 bikes would fit on it. 1 bike and 1 small sidecar rig would fit. A trike of large sidecar rig no problem.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Curious on one aspect of the trailer, do you not have to have a registration/licence plate on the back, like you have on the towing vehicle? I note the rear lights and reflectors are there.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Curious on one aspect of the trailer, do you not have to have a registration/licence plate on the back, like you have on the towing vehicle? I note the rear lights and reflectors are there.

Long as I am in Wisconsin no reg or plate needed. Yes to go out of state I would need the plate. Getting that in Jan. Goes on left side fender. Liberal Gov just jacked the cost up. $165 to reg the title and $50 dollars a year and that goes up as he sees fit. He wants money for free buses and trolleys.

181 - 199 of 199 Posts