Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Hey Smitty, thanks for all the detailed pictures and information. I'm mounting mine up this weekend. :)

Best of luck with it. Are the mounts custom made for that bike or are they they so called universal ones? Stay in touch and keep us posted.
Excited to see it and the work in progress

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yup, just universal. Having a **** of a time with the rear mounts. And my welder died, so I'm a bit stuck while I figure that out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Yup, just universal. Having a **** of a time with the rear mounts. And my welder died, so I'm a bit stuck while I figure that out.

You will have your work cut out for you. It can be done. Cut nothing until you are sure . I will do what I can to help you along.
Lower rear is the most important. You will need to do some fab work to make it work.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
UnaClocker few things. There is really no universal bolt on mount. Knowing that helps. This will take time. You need a Flat area to work.
The lower rear mount needs to be as far back as possible on the bike. On a Street you will need to make a bracket to attach the sidecar frame. We can help you with that . You should have no problems making it.
The upper rear can go a couple ways one option is using upper shock mount bolt . I went another route for more strength.
You might consider making a simple jig from wood to hold everything while doing this. Also remove the sidecar body from the frame and set it in a safe place until you are done.
This is going to require Time .

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, the links I got, that go between the bike and the sidecar, they're way too long. So I'm going to cut a couple of them down and weld them back together to be shorter. I got one short link and 3 long ones. It really seems like I'd have been fine with 4 short ones. Maybe 3 short and one long. I've been referring to your pictures quite a bit. For my initial attachment, I'm going with your second lower rear mount style, I've removed the tab that the plastic side cover clips into so that I can put one of the frame mounts there, just above the rear footpeg. I think my sidecar frame sits higher than yours, I don't really see a way to get a mount under the exhaust like you ended up doing. The upper rear, I think I'm doing it a lot like you did, big thick flat piece of steel bolted onto the cargo rack mounting bolts. I'm welding the last frame mount to that. It's a real shame how many things are welded all over this frame on this bike. Makes it near impossible to put these frame mounts on. The front mounts, I've pretty well got exactly like you did. I'll get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Yeah, the links I got, that go between the bike and the sidecar, they're way too long. So I'm going to cut a couple of them down and weld them back together to be shorter. I got one short link and 3 long ones. It really seems like I'd have been fine with 4 short ones. Maybe 3 short and one long. I've been referring to your pictures quite a bit. For my initial attachment, I'm going with your second lower rear mount style, I've removed the tab that the plastic side cover clips into so that I can put one of the frame mounts there, just above the rear footpeg. I think my sidecar frame sits higher than yours, I don't really see a way to get a mount under the exhaust like you ended up doing. The upper rear, I think I'm doing it a lot like you did, big thick flat piece of steel bolted onto the cargo rack mounting bolts. I'm welding the last frame mount to that. It's a real shame how many things are welded all over this frame on this bike. Makes it near impossible to put these frame mounts on. The front mounts, I've pretty well got exactly like you did. I'll get some pictures up soon.

The lower rear mount needs to get farther back than just using down tube on frame.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah. I'm going to have to weld something to the frame of the sidecar, in that case, because the frame is above the exhaust right now. Or at least about level with it. I just took my first test ride with it, The top struts need to extend a hair more, with some weight in the side car, I'm leaning towards it and having to counter steer against it. Unloaded, it's alright.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
UnaClocker I beat this one hard some times I have to know that wheel with the hub cut down will hold. So we have been beating on it a bit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a spare front wheel for my bike, rim and tire. I'm going to make a new axle shaft to adapt it to the sidecar. Better match. I like the one you did with the rear tire, but turning that thing down, bit too extreme for my skills. I can use the manual lathe at work to make the new axle shaft. The stock one almost fits. Hair too large in diameter, and the Harley front tire is like 2" wider than the little thing this came with.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
I have a spare front wheel for my bike, rim and tire. I'm going to make a new axle shaft to adapt it to the sidecar. Better match. I like the one you did with the rear tire, but turning that thing down, bit too extreme for my skills. I can use the manual lathe at work to make the new axle shaft. The stock one almost fits. Hair too large in diameter, and the Harley front tire is like 2" wider than the little thing this came with.

Down the road if you can get a car tire on the rig it will last a lot longer. No madder how well they are setup sidecars eat rear motorcycle tire and sidecar tires.
You Street will take a 155/60R15 car tire the difference is slight at 67.25 you will be doing 65 mph that in effect does give you a slightly lower gear ratio witch is a good thing.
Watch your tire wear patterns close for a while. Ride it on a dusty path then on hard surface and look at the tire print . It helps you head off excess wear and figure out any adjustments you need.
When you put the other wheel on you will like need to lower air pressure a couple pounds in that tire.

Solo 750 and I are happy to see you with it on the road. Of course there is a learning curve. You done good and it looks great. Please stay in touch.
Another short video

20190902_145642 by bob smith, on Flickr

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
hahaha, awesome video. Very cool.

I do not normally ride like that . But I can. been at this awhile. This is our other rig Hannigan twin classic. Trike front end , ECC no short cuts. It will flat move.

Pushing through deals gap AKA the dragon the end of may this year.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #155 (Edited)
Yeah. I'm going to have to weld something to the frame of the sidecar, in that case, because the frame is above the exhaust right now. Or at least about level with it. I just took my first test ride with it, The top struts need to extend a hair more, with some weight in the side car, I'm leaning towards it and having to counter steer against it. Unloaded, it's alright.

Lean out should be set you when you ,mount the bike it comes to straight up. Getting the Toe right will help with steering response and tire wear. It may take a little adjustment until you get it.
Sidecar tire pressure will have a big effect on handling couple pound up or down make a difference.
Adjustment you will often require adjusting another mount also. Seldom one and done. It is clear you have you stuff together and likely know most of this.
This is a good read. Like most things there may not be prefect answers but it helps.

Motorvation Engineering Sidecar Operation Manual

Helpful chart on alignment. Attached

Unintended flying the car can be controlled once you understand why it happens. Always remember you drive a sidecar and ride a bike. Once you get it adjusted and get use to it you may not need weight added .
There are a few cars like yours in appearance what brand and model is that one? I am assuming it is a rocket This link is an event at the place Solo750 works we do every year. One of the many great things sidecar will open up to you.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmG7aJwf

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, the model is Rocket. It's stamped "Apollo" all over the frame. I got it from Redwolf Sidecars, they had it on sale, marked down $700 from the normal price. It's got a lot of lacking quality in places, primarily the bolts, but that's an easy fix. The welds seem solid enough, which is where it really matters. It came with a dirt bike knobby tire, not even DOT rated, so I'm really motivated to get my spare front wheel attached to this thing before I do any riding it at speed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
Yeah, the model is Rocket. It's stamped "Apollo" all over the frame. I got it from Redwolf Sidecars, they had it on sale, marked down $700 from the normal price. It's got a lot of lacking quality in places, primarily the bolts, but that's an easy fix. The welds seem solid enough, which is where it really matters. It came with a dirt bike knobby tire, not even DOT rated, so I'm really motivated to get my spare front wheel attached to this thing before I do any riding it at speed.

Low cost sidecars have their short comings .That does not make them bad. yep lose that tire, it won't last long anyway. Solo750 and I welcome you to the Street 750 sidecar club. Likely the smallest club in the world. You clearly have skills I think you will do fine with it. The driving skills will come with time. Watch for the turn or jog left then back right quickly That is when you get air born.
Stay in touch. When you make adjustments try to use the file I attached as a starting point , do things a little at a time. After every adjustment check you toe. Anytime we can help just yell.
Post up some more pictures. We would really enjoy seeing them.

PS: now you know why we have to laugh a little when we hear the words universal mounting kit.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
After Church today Solo750 and I cut down a Street rear while like we did mine for his rig. All went well. We mounted his on mine and tested it. We cut his different than we did the first one. Left a little more on the hub.
It works . Next week weather permitting we will covert his over.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Payton has not ridden the black one for some time. We had been using the black one to try some new ideas on. Of course she has been riding the gold one. So today I put the black one all back together while she was at school and picked her up with it. She was happy to ride in it again.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Great job Smitty. You have something to offer there that will become a story at some point in the school, where the listeners can only imagine.

141 - 160 of 199 Posts