Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

161 - 180 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Great job Smitty. You have something to offer there that will become a story at some point in the school, where the listeners can only imagine.

At her new school some of the teachers are already looking for a ride in the gold one and one teacher was to drive one of them. We will make it happen.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Latter today Solo750 will ride out and we will convert his rig to the 15 inch wheel and 25 mm axle. His wheel is already cut down and ready. So he should be riding it home with the new setup toady some time. Cutting the swing arm axle bushing out , cutting down the axle will take some time . However we have done it once already so it should go faster today.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
8-22-2017 after being told it could not be done and would not work. That a Street 750 could not pull a sidecar and many other negative statements . It has been proven it can be done . And that with a little effort it can be built to work great.
As of now on this forum alone there are 3 Street 750's with sidecars that are on the road. UnaClocker, Solo750 and mine. I have not seen UnClockers in person and still waiting for a good posting of how the project is going .
Solo750 and my rig are solid. They are safe to ride and handle well . The rigs have proven they will run highway speeds with on issues. Common issue with sidecars like tire wear have been greatly improved on these rigs over time with some changes.
We are not done improving these budget rigs. More to come. I hope UnClocker keeps us posted on his journey with his. He clearly has skills and no doubt will over come any issues. For others keep in mind that all of the work
we have done on these rigs was done at home. Using basic tools and equipment. Stick around more to come .

·
Registered
145 Posts
First of probably 3 install videos. Two videos really. The third will be the fine tuning and such. I got about 40 miles on my cheap sidecar tire before the bearings failed. Had to have it towed home at about the 70 mile mark. Good news is, the knobs on the new rubber, still there. So my alignment must have been pretty spot on. It certainly went straight and only had a slight wiggle at 30mph. I had read warnings that the bearings in the Red Wolf imported sidecars would fail. One guy only got 5 miles before the bearing "exploded" on him. At 40 miles my wheel was wobbly. At 70 miles it was howling/screeching and I decided to call it. I do want to thank the AMA (American Motorcycle Association), they weren't lying when they said they offer free towing. I pulled over, called their Roadside assistance number, and in no time at all they had a flatbed tow truck out to load me up and take me the last 10 miles home.
I have a really awesome wheel idea that's going to solve this once and for all, that will be in my 3rd video. I don't want to spoil the surprise in advance, so ya'll have to wait for it. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
Here she is up on the tow truck trailer. At least I stopped before it locked up or came off.

Look at the bright side it only gets better from here. Low speed shake at 15-35 MPH often when slowing down is common. It should be ok with hands on the bars if not then it is an issue.
Steering Dampener will often get rid of it. If it does it some times and not others generally the road conditions start it and it magnifies . Slow down or speed up it goes away . Fine tuning the adjustments often helps. Toss 25 to 40 pounds in the sidecar and see if it helps also. Remember no real hard rules on mounting other than must be secure. distances are just guide lines.
Make adjustment little at a time and get the toe set close to 1/2 to 3/4 inch to start with.

Once you iron out the issues it will start to become a lot of fun. Keep us posted on your journey.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Man, that is a WAY nicer sidecar than I have. What does one of those run? I may eventually (sooner than later actually) move to something higher quality like that.

Anyways, latest video. Second half of me mounting the sidecar.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
UnaClocker I would highly recommend a car tire on the rear of the bike at least and one on the sidecar would be a good idea. A 155/60R15 is a prefect fit for your rear rim. It is a tire used on early smartcars. That is why Solo750 and I converted the Wheel on the sidecar to the same as the bike rear. We will be using the same tire on the hack.
This is a common 155/60R15 mounted on a Factory Street wheel.. The height of the tire is only slight lower . That works to your advantage as it slightly lower the ratio . Sidecars will no madder how well they are set up wear rear tires fast. The car tire will cost half or less what any motorcycle tire will and last many times longer. There is just no down side to downing it. Same with the sidecar. There is no car tire made anymore that will fit the narrow wheels anymore..
I realize in the video you can only cover so much. Setting the lean out/lean in angle along with the Toe is very important to having a good experience with the rig.
Experience has taught me that using Ride-on in the tires for balancing is the way to go. It also does provide some flat protects. having a flat on a sidecar tire is an interesting experience the first time.
As for air pressure in sidecar tire you have to experiment . After you have the rig set up . Generally the sidecar will have a lower air pressure than the bike, it carries a lower load.

The longer you ride a hack the more you learn, the more you learn the more fun it is.

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Unaclocker,

I purchased my 563 sidecar this year for VelorexUSA, for just a bit under $3900.00. The price includes the shipping cost too. The 562 is slightly less and is basically the same model. The tub frame is a bit smaller from what I've read. If you haven't been to their website here is the address:

Velorex USA

Finding a used one is a matter of timing. They seem to sell fast.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
This morning while waiting to use the washing machine here at 7am, I did a search for 12 inch motorcycle shocks and this is what I found on this site. The price is very affordable. Not sure if this shock can be used as a replacement on the sidecar. Figure I would run this by you first.

https://www.gopowersports.com/universal-adjustable-standard-shock-12/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ZCiyKHk5AIVBcJkCh2Y6QrpEAQYAiABEgKOcfD_BwE

They also have a heavy duty version as well.

Looking at it now. The lower shaft has the clear space it needs to avoid rubbing on the axle support. I will likely order one today.
Standard one is 450 pounds compression
Heavy duty is 730 pounds.

Unlike I would put more than 450 pound compression in the sidecar wheel.

Ordered the standard the heavy duty would likely be to stiff. $29 with shipping is very low cost. 10mm mount hole think I can make it work

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Unaclocker,

I purchased my 563 sidecar this year for VelorexUSA, for just a bit under $3900.00. The price includes the shipping cost too. The 562 is slightly less and is basically the same model. The tub frame is a bit smaller from what I've read. If you haven't been to their website here is the address:

Velorex USA

Finding a used one is a matter of timing. They seem to sell fast.

Also if you do find a used one parts are often missing and when you add in shipping it is not worth the discount price.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So yeah, the wheel that came with this sidecar, I got like 70 miles out of it before the bearings completely and utterly failed (did I post this already?). So I decided to do something a bit heavier duty. Hopped on good old Amazon and found a trailer axle and hub for $30 shipped. I also scored a PAIR of trailer wheels for $99 shipped. So now I've got a trailer tire rated for 2,000lbs with proper roller bearings designed to be side loaded heavily. Was pretty easy to install, I did a video on it, but I'm still waiting on a new fender. The original fender for this sidecar totally didn't fit over the tire. I bent the holy **** out of it to get it to be test driveable. I must say, I like the way it handles way better now. Very happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Driving the rig to a HOG chapter meeting tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be very very moist. Should be a blast. Drove it to work today, in similar weather. Had a blast. :) I chopped up the factory sissy bar and got it to clear the bracket I made for the upper rear sidecar mount.

·
Registered
491 Posts
So yeah, the wheel that came with this sidecar, I got like 70 miles out of it before the bearings completely and utterly failed (did I post this already?). So I decided to do something a bit heavier duty. Hopped on good old Amazon and found a trailer axle and hub for $30 shipped. I also scored a PAIR of trailer wheels for $99 shipped. So now I've got a trailer tire rated for 2,000lbs with proper roller bearings designed to be side loaded heavily. Was pretty easy to install, I did a video on it, but I'm still waiting on a new fender. The original fender for this sidecar totally didn't fit over the tire. I bent the holy **** out of it to get it to be test driveable. I must say, I like the way it handles way better now. Very happy with how it turned out.
So are you going to be hauling a baby elephant in the side car with that trailer wheel setup? Asking for a friend....lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
hehe, well I figure 500lb bike, 200lb sidecar, 200 x 3 people, then you go hard into a left turn.. :) heh..
Here's the latest video:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh hey, here are pictures of the other XG with a sidecar, it's actually an XG500. This one was installed professionally for the lady that owns it. And she's in New Zealand, so right hand drive, turns out it's a lot easier to get at the frame from that side. I thought her pictures would be more helpful for me than they turned out to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Oh hey, here are pictures of the other XG with a sidecar, it's actually an XG500. This one was installed professionally for the lady that owns it. And she's in New Zealand, so right hand drive, turns out it's a lot easier to get at the frame from that side. I thought her pictures would be more helpful for me than they turned out to be.

That one appears to be a real Cozy.

161 - 180 of 199 Posts