Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems about a 50 / 50 mix as to whether you need to remap when putting on a slip on muffler and keeping the stock air filter. Does anyone really know if it is necessary to remap?
I'm think about S&S Grand National slip on.

If I did change the air filter is it necessary to remap?

I'm an old coot (72) and this remapping stuff is quite confusing to me and I'm sure I DON'T know how to do it. I have owned numerous bikes but never remapped any of them for any reason.

Who can straighten me out on this ? And THANKS.
Rich

·
Vendor
39 Posts
Hey Rich, the simple answer is that there is no simple answer. With any slip-on you change the air fuel mixture. In most cases (I can speak most specifically about the Firebrand slip ons), the ratio stays close enough that the bike runs fine. However every bike is different and things like altitude, humidity and other factors also come into play. When we did our testing it was at sea level with low humidity and the bike ran great...no other changes required. I am sure if we tested the same bike in Colorado the results would have been different. Bottom line is that if the bike runs good after the change, you are probably good to go. However, any time you change anything on the bike that could change air to fuel ratio, if you have it tuned or remapped it will always run better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you need to remap? No. Should you remap? Yes.

I ran my XG750A with Rinehart and it ran okay. I then added S&S Stealth intake and it ran okay but pinged in high gears under heavy loads. Added V&H FP3 with two custom maps from Bryan and night-and-day difference. Way better throttle feel and response, runs cooler, and WAY MORE power from bottom to top.

·
Registered
25 Posts
im on the lines of unless youre doing an intake or a full exahust theres no need to remap, mufflers/slip ons now adays are more about the sound than changing how the bike runs, yes there will be a bit of difference but not too noticeable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts